Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally got this guy to the planting stage so I figured I would move the pictures out of my construction journal and over to this area. We're not sure what will ultimately call this home yet, but it will be some form of imitator.

This week I have an order of plants coming in from Black Jungle and some substrate for the dry river bed section coming in from ADA :)

Pics

The plants are an assortment of broms from Chris Teem and a couple of small orchids from lowes so far. We'll see how they do

Initial Planting by jasonwithers, on Flickr

There are 5 bromeliads, 2 orchids and a dischidia in there. Here's a couple close ups of the nicer bromeliads I got

Bromeliad Closeup by jasonwithers, on Flickr

Bromeliad Closeup by jasonwithers, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Looks really good! But I always like to give advice so...
-The transition from land to water is too harsh. It could be softened/made more natural by adding some small stones and some leaf litter between the two areas.
-More vines are needed on the background
-An aroid or fern would look nice in the back right corner.

Hope this helps. I'm not trying to be obnoxious or anything, I'm just stating how I think this tank could be made even nicer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Coming together nicely Jason!

Awesome pictures... as usual. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks really good! But I always like to give advice so...
-The transition from land to water is too harsh. It could be softened/made more natural by adding some small stones and some leaf litter between the two areas.
-More vines are needed on the background
-An aroid or fern would look nice in the back right corner.

Hope this helps. I'm not trying to be obnoxious or anything, I'm just stating how I think this tank could be made even nicer.
Definitely. At this point I'm looking for advice. I just planted some emergent plants around the water edge, so hopefully they'll eventually start to take off and help soften the line (that's the idea at least).

I just planted 2 vines in the background today :) Hopefully they'll take off and start covering it pretty quick. A fern would be perfect for the back right corner!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Two words....CLEAN and ELEGANT. Love it!

As for the water section, have you thought about getting some small floating lilypads, or ever duckweed. It can look quite nice if it is kept under control. Plus it will help blend the land and water section together nicely.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Two words....CLEAN and ELEGANT. Love it!

As for the water section, have you thought about getting some small floating lilypads, or ever duckweed. It can look quite nice if it is kept under control. Plus it will help blend the land and water section together nicely.
I haven't seen any lillypad type plants available, do you have a link?

And thanks!

I have some very dark substrate I could use too, but it's a dark brown color. Maybe I could mix them together to come up with something a little more natural looking

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I honestly dont know the specific types or names. Im terrible with aquatic plants....But if you wanna see what I mean then check out this link. Scroll down until it gets to the plants and you'll see them.

Streambank paludarium - Paludariums - Aquatic Plant Central

...or go to page 4 and 5 to see his awesome streambank planting.

I dont think you need much else in your tank other then the vines that have yet to fill in though bud. Looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think a couple odd shape larger and differant size rocks would look good as well sticking out of the water....Viv looks great though keep us posted as it grows in...Thumbs up!

·
Registered
791 Posts
You lucky, lucky person.

PS: Is that tree fern panel for the background? I thought it was eco-web at first, but I wondered how you could get it. (actually, more along the lines of how I could get it :D)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts