Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and was checking out my frog tanks, when I noticed that one of my amazonicus was acting very strange. Well.... he wasn't acting at all. The poor little bugger died in the crouched/hopping position and riggered that way :( So, I look in his tank and there he is standing picturesque on a leaf, dead as a doornail. He looked very healthy, nice and fat, and the other 3 amazons living with him are boats. I guess they just kicked the crap out of him or he had some catastrophic organ failure. This totally sucks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That's terrible, are you going to have a post-mortem done?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm waiting to hear back from a local vet, who is going to send it to a pathologist for a necro. Necros are not cheap ($150-$300), but I'm totally willing to figure out what happened and how to keep it from spreading. I'm a little worried about the timing though, since it may have been dead for at least 12 hours now, and I don't have any chemicals to pickle it. Has anyone every used isopropal alcohol before? Right now I have it in a moist cup, on PT, cold, but not frozen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wouldn't use isopropal alcohol. If anything I would use chloroform, but the way you have it now most likely would work.

Dave

·
Registered
696 Posts
Joe, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Marty-Wow! I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I feel really bad about laughing uncontrollably in this time of need :cry:

Dunner97074 said:
Joe, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Marty-Wow! I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm not sure if this will help now but I can send you a biopsy container with formulin in it to preserve the frog. However, if it has been dead for some time the necropsy may not be fully accurate. Your also right with the fact that necropsies cost an arm and a leg to get done. I would say $150 is a damn good price for a necropsy. You normally have to go to a specialty laboratory dealing with exotics. The local vets send to common laboratories and it cost more because they have contracted pathologists for the most part. Let me know if you need anything and I'll try to help you out.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Where do you get formulin? Anatomy lab?

Luke

·
Registered
114 Posts
Luke,

I'm betting you could get some formulin at the anatomy lab. I don't remember my college keeping any on hand but none of my professors did research that required preserving specimens. I just have the stuff on hand because I work at a vet clinic. Im figuring if we ever get a freakin nj/ny meeting going, then disease and treatment would be good topics to discuss.

Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts