Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this frog about 3 weeks ago and it it is way smaller than any frog I have ordered in the past. Does this seem inordinately small to anyone else? It could probably fit on my pinky.

·
Super Moderator
2,926 Posts
That's smaller than I like to sell them, for sure. They are usually tough little fellas, though, and if you haven't had any issue with him so far, I bet he will be ok. Just make sure he is eating well. He also doesn't look like most Bakhuis I have seen, though he might grow into the coloration over time. I have never seen them as froglets this young.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
That things cuter than a gorilla toddler.

Keep an eye on him and get him up fast.

I dont care what anyone says id use a feeding station. Hes got nothin to prove he needs gains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Mark. So far seems healthy. Always out hunting, but seems to have trouble getting melanogaster flies in his mouth at times being so small. Yeah, I’m glad you mentioned coloring, it seemed a bit off from pictures I have seen. It was sold as Western Bakhuis from dart frog central.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Feeding Station. Increases fly consumption. I think some 'places' have promoted feeding stations and because of it, people dont want to use them, like a guilt by association peer group phenomenon.

But those places did not invent site feeding.

A shipped froglet from any large dealership is more vulnerable in its acclimation than a froglet from a private breeder individual.
The best insurance is to get visible growth on them as quickly as possible.

Of all things dendro ive garnered some experience in raising metamorphs and froglets, kind of in a way that was under pressure.. as the dealer would sell groups of frogs "not ready" (translate: No credit per mortality) it was an agreement with the owner who got them greatly discounted, and the dealer was happy not to have to raise them.
It all sounds quite ugly, talking about living animals in such a way.
But, for me, it was an intense opportunity and had my full attention.

·
Super Moderator
2,926 Posts
Feeding Station. Increases fly consumption. I think some 'places' have promoted feeding stations and because of it, people dont want to use them, like a guilt by association peer group phenomenon.
This is an interesting insight. I don't think I have seen people push back against feeding stations on this board, per se. The thing I have seen is people saying that using a feeding station more than temporarily may be depriving frogs of the activity and stimulation associated with foraging behavior. This is pretty funny to me, though, because I am guessing that any of us that have a lot of tanks probably fall into the habit of feeding in the same place most times (for me, it's just to limit where the powder residue goes) which is essentially a de facto feeding station anyway :) Regardless, I think your suggestion for using them for this situation is spot on.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Agree that it, um, might not be the same 'Bakhuis' that everyone else has -- the patterning is atypical, and I've not stumbled across the 'Western" variant (especially one that hails from Ecuador, as the tad listing for this locale from that vendor indicates).

Cute little frog, though -- enjoy it! :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't mean to scare you but even if this froglet would only be around +-4 weeks old now, it still has some growth to catch up compared to other Tinctorius froglet's that age.

My guess is this froglet is not raised well. Probably in a large group with older frogs were it got food competition, leading into having health issues this day.

Froglets should never be sold under the age of at least 3 months old..

Keep a good eye on him, this is not a 'cute froglet' at all Imo, rather one that is in need of urgent and correct care.

I wish you and the frog best of luck. Make sure to provide him with the correct supplementation. This will help him a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Tijl is right. While the little frog strikes that nurture nerve, of cuteness there is something incongruently neotenic about its proportions.
The thing is that dealers will try to 'off' specimens. An experienced person can often even tell if a specimen is going to have problems - even if it isnt presenting yet.
If they are ethical they hold it back and work on the animal, or watch it. But if they are more interested in getting money for it than the fate of the animal or the quality of their stock, if that signature isnt important, well, unfortunately that is common.
Not trying to scare either but it needs said.
Please encourage as much feeding as possible. The feeding site also makes the most of the flies in available congregate, instead of having too many in viv crawling over the frog and becoming a stressor.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I received a 'stunted' Terribilis years ago with a group that I had ordered. The other four frogs grew and developed normally, but the little guy remained stunted...he only reached about half the normal size. There didn't appear to be any other complications, aside from his size, but he expired after a couple of years.

·
Registered
513 Posts
An experienced person can often even tell if a specimen is going to have problems - even if it isnt presenting yet.
Agree. It's a cool phenomenon to see our subconscious pattern recognition skills at work.

I received a 'stunted' Terribilis years ago with a group that I had ordered. The other four frogs grew and developed normally, but the little guy remained stunted...he only reached about half the normal size. There didn't appear to be any other complications, aside from his size, but he expired after a couple of years.
I've had experience with frogs that fit Kmc's description- where something just ain't right. I've also had a frog that was very much stunted from lack of food/supplementation. That individual is less than 2 years old, but it is now full size. It will be interesting to see how well it does long term.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts