Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very weird smell. It's not a weak smell, but it's not strong either. It smells like very weak silicone. I aired out the tank for 2 weeks and closed it up and it smelled like this. I think it is silicone, but like I said it's very weak compared to fresh/almost fresh silicone. I let it cure overnight at first, misted it, and this smell was a bit stronger, so I aired it out for 2 weeks, and it's still there. I'd really rather not rip all my rooted plants out AGAIN and air out the tank AGAIN. Will frogs be ok?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you use a lot of silicone?
And how long did it cure?
Thick silicone spots take a long time to completely cure,
it might look like it's cured then, but that's only a film layer.

If it is just a light smell it should be ok,
but when you got silicone in there that is not completely cured it might
be better not to put the frogs in.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use a lot of silicone?
And how long did it cure?
Thick silicone spots take a long time to completely cure,
it might look like it's cured then, but that's only a film layer.

If it is just a light smell it should be ok,
but when you got silicone in there that is not completely cured it might
be better not to put the frogs in.
Not really, just enough to get a thin layer over my GS. It might be my silicone hinge because if I smell the background it smells find, but if I smell the silicone hinge, I smell silicone. It's not strong, meaning it isn't an ammonia smell, it's something a little different then iy. I let it cure for about 16 days. I can't rip all my plants out though, so i'll give it a few weeks, hopefully all is good by then.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If you can smell the silicone, then you shouldn't add the frogs. This is an indication that it hasn't completely cured. Curing time is dependent on a number of things including access to air and air circulation in and out of the tank. Leave it open and let it continue to air until you can't smell the silicone at all. I've had some tanks take as long as 3-4 weeks to finish curing.

Ed

·
Registered
752 Posts
Very possible it is coming from the hinge. The silicone inside the glue line may not of fully cured yet, does not see any airflow in there. I had the same issue using living hinge with deep glue grooves.

·
Registered
752 Posts
And no, I would not add frogs either. Little smells are big smells to little noses.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to rip the living hinge off, the silicone is 1 inch thick, no joke. I'm going to wait until I can buy a plastic one so my plants don't die.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Not possible to just trim some away? It will cure eventually

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not possible to just trim some away? It will cure eventually
It is possible, but idc. The hinge isn't working too well for a conversion kit, it's not FF proof because the bottom glass is tightly on and the door sticks out a bit from the hinge not supporting weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts