Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of converting a 40gal aquarium into a vivarium and would like to go vertical if the froggies like it that way. I would include climbing wood & vines... Don't have frogs yet, just researching.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Vertical is more work up front because you need to waterproof a bottom section and figure out a door. But will be much nicer for maintenance down the line. You will also need to figure out ventilation either way. Personally if either is an option I would go vertical everytime.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you're going with the 36x18x18 tank, the only option is to go vertical (depending on the species of darts you're going with). I say that because if I were go go horizontal with those dimensions, I would just go with an enclosure that comes off the shelf with those dimensions (which ZooMed and ExoTerra both make.) I only say that because when it comes to maintaining and setting up a long viv II like to have front access to Vivs. If you go horizontal, you will also need to figure out a way to add vents in the glass to allow for an intake of air.

As for the conversion kit you linked, I hate to break it to you, but it's not just going to be a silicon/glue in solution. If you check out the vents you will notice they are huge. You're going to need to cover up that area with mesh to make sure you're not just giving exits to FF's.

·
Super Moderator
2,686 Posts
At the cost of that conversion kit, you're at least halfway to an actual vivarium.

Agree about the vents being too big; though at the same time, they look to be somewhat too small (not enough net free ventilation area for decent airflow). This would be worse after screening (although I agree that screening over them would be necessary).

Also, making a watertight seal between acrylic and whatever plastic aquarium trim is made of (ABS?) might be difficult. Silicone to acrylic isn't always a reliable bond.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I forgot to add that I would use one of these
I have one for my crested gecko on a converted 20 gallon and its been holding up well for a little over a year. My only complaint is that the door is a little too big (there's not enough of a substrate tray). The bottom vent holes are about 3 inches from the bottom so my substrate covers them up, and i have leaves fall out whenever I open it up. I think you can ask for custom dimensions.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The main question I would ask is, do you already have the 40 gallon tank? If you don't, I'd look into the other options out there. I say this because it's easier to modify what's on the market for darts all while making them FF proof. Converting an aquarium into a Viv, specific for darts, is a challenge all in itself.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You can try contacting the frog cube guy. He currently doesn't sell a 40 gallon vertical. But I know he did at one time. He might be willing to sell you one since I know he prints his products as needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thinking of converting a 40gal aquarium into a vivarium and would like to go vertical if the froggies like it that way. I would include climbing wood & vines... Don't have frogs yet, just researching.
I’m super happy with my vertical build. The frogs use quite a bit of the height. There’s a ledge in top that they love.I got Ranitomeya Vazos and they definitely take advantage of all niches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts