Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of using a 20 or 30 tall and leaving it in the horizontal position to maximize both vertical and horizontal space. I am thinking I will just cover with a glass top, no ventilation. Are there any major pitfalls to using a regular aquarium in a horizontal setup for dart frogs?
Thank you :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
if i understand you right you are talking about an aquarium set like it would be for fish. if i get you right, that's how a lot of viv's are. thats how im doing my viv. what type of dart frogs are you keeping?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That's how most people keep them I would guess. I only use vertically converted tanks for thumbnail species that climb more. What kind of frog will you be keeping? I don't think it should be a problem.
Bryan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Horizontal setup question

First, the thread title should be HORIZONTAL setup :mad:

I don't have any frogs yet, just trying to nail down a plan for the viv. I like the tincs and ranitomeyas. I would really like an imitator, but I've been reading that they might not be the best beginner frogs. I am going to check out a reptile show soon and do some more reading on both types. Then I'm sure I will start a thread to get some advice from people here.

Thank you both for the input on the setup. I really wanted to make sure there wasn't some unforeseen difficulty in accessing/maintaining the viv from the top.

Baltimore Brian-your comment about the thumbs leads me to another question...how much height would I need if I decided to go with the thumbs?

·
Registered
635 Posts

First, the thread title should be HORIZONTAL setup :mad:

I don't have any frogs yet, just trying to nail down a plan for the viv. I like the tincs and ranitomeyas. I would really like an imitator, but I've been reading that they might not be the best beginner frogs. I am going to check out a reptile show soon and do some more reading on both types. Then I'm sure I will start a thread to get some advice from people here.

Thank you both for the input on the setup. I really wanted to make sure there wasn't some unforeseen difficulty in accessing/maintaining the viv from the top.
1. Patience is Key for your first frogs. Get the supplies first from the reptile show, but choose the frog first and build that tank for the frog your getting.(Some people build the tank with not knowing what frog they are getting.)

2. If you are getting any tinc, its best to use a hoizontal setup. A pair fits in a 20 gallon. You might be able to squeeze in a third in a 29g. Tincs do better in pairs,IMO

3. Its best to put a Ranitomeya in a Vertical Tank. Lots of bromeliads and hiding spots. Its different setting up the tank right, than setting up a tinc tank. A pair in a 10 gallon, probably a trio in a twenty.

4. SEARCH as much info as possible whether its on this forum or any other. There are amazing builds for all different species on this forum.

I started out with leucs and they are wonderful. This sunday ill be getting my next frog im getting is a imitator varadero . I have a 12x12x18 zoo med that is going to be housing a pair.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Looks like you're in Michigan - why not give Josh (Josh's Frogs - Largest online herps feeders and reptile supplies store) a call and see if you can swing by sometime? You can check out different kinds of frogs we work with, and see firsthand how to set up a vivarium. Plus, we have everything on hand that you'll need to set it up properly. We're located out in Owosso, MI - 1 800 691 8178.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looks like you're in Michigan - why not give Josh (Josh's Frogs - Largest online herps feeders and reptile supplies store) a call and see if you can swing by sometime? You can check out different kinds of frogs we work with, and see firsthand how to set up a vivarium. Plus, we have everything on hand that you'll need to set it up properly. We're located out in Owosso, MI - 1 800 691 8178.

+1 for going to josh at joshsfrogs. They get all of my business and are extremly helpful and very knowledgable!! If I lived close to them theyd be constantly kicking me out of their store cause id live there

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would jump all over that invitation.

Any time vets invite you over, it's a tremendous learning opportunity. They help you define and create exactly what you want, without suffering setbacks. Basically, they can talk you down off of the ledge if necessary and avoid many a potential pitfall.

Road trip !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not all ranitomeya are arboreal, a few are terrestrail and require more floor space than vertical space. I actually find my vents also spend a LOT of time on the floor of their viv, looking for nibbles. For them at least I would say vertical space and horizontal space are of equal importance.

You could always get a cube aquarium. ;) Or go bigger, get a 180 litre tall, mine is 60cm x 60cm x 72cm high, so more than enough room for most frogs whether terrestrial or vertical. I have ameerega bassieri sisa in that one, and they use every mm of space in there. lol

Ade

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have definitely been doing a lot of research. I am months away from buying any frogs for sure. Actually, I think I am reading too much, and there is so much conflicting info that I am getting a bit lost.

The only reason I was putting the tank before the frog is the Petco $1/gallon sale. I thought if I got something with enough height and width for any species, like the tall aquariums in horizontal position, that I would be good to go. I do see your point, and I don't want to purchase a tank with wasted space in either dimension. I guess I should focus on species first.

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO DRIVE UP TO OWOSSO!! Thank you so much for the invite. Should I send a PM to arrange a visit or is there a storefront open to the public??

·
Registered
48 Posts
i'd recomend going with the tincs for your first frog. that's what i'm going with. the ranitomeya are generally arboreal like tree frogs, but not all of them.

·
Registered
635 Posts

I have definitely been doing a lot of research. I am months away from buying any frogs for sure. Actually, I think I am reading too much, and there is so much conflicting info that I am getting a bit lost.

The only reason I was putting the tank before the frog is the Petco $1/gallon sale. I thought if I got something with enough height and width for any species, like the tall aquariums in horizontal position, that I would be good to go. I do see your point, and I don't want to purchase a tank with wasted space in either dimension. I guess I should focus on species first.

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO DRIVE UP TO OWOSSO!! Thank you so much for the invite. Should I send a PM to arrange a visit or is there a storefront open to the public??
I was just at petco and saw 3 29 gallons on sale. They would be perfect for some thumbs btw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I was just at petco and saw 3 29 gallons on sale. They would be perfect for some thumbs btw.
I saw a 29g terrarium at my LFS for $90. I thought that was a good price because I have seen smaller ExoTerras for the same price. This one had front sliding glass doors though. It seemed like it would be hard to set up through a 15 inch opening.

I have another question...I am planning on using a pump to create a waterfall for the purpose of pulling the water through the substrate as a means of filtering it. Is there any reason I would still need a drainage hole??

Thanks everybody ;)

·
Registered
6,110 Posts

I saw a 29g terrarium at my LFS for $90. I thought that was a good price because I have seen smaller ExoTerras for the same price. This one had front sliding glass doors though.
I think what you saw was probably a "Marty Made" tank. They make pretty good frog tanks - you just need to replace the top, and put some weather stripping down the middle of the doors to seal the gap. If you wanted one of those, I can give you Marty's contact info - it's cheaper to go through him if you can pick it up in Detroit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't take notice of the top. There was another aquarium sitting on top of it. So it probably had a screen top? Yes, please send his info. I live just outside Detroit so that's no problem :)
Thank you so much for all your help,
Patricia

1 - 20 of 20 Posts