Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have a tall piece of driftwood vertically oriented in a new viv. The problem being that it wouldn't be very stable (even if it was leaned up against one of the walls). I am thinking of mounting the bottom to a flat piece of wood or plastic as a base.

I am wondering if anyone else has done something like this, or has input on materials to use (or avoid) for the base. Or a better idea altogether. I'm a little concerned that unfinished wood would break down since it will be constantly damp.

Bonus question: what is the best way to attach wood to glass (without drilling a hole in the glass)? From what I've read here in the past it seems like silicone is much better at this than greatstuff.

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
For the base, I can't think of any easy to acquire wood species that would hold up over time. In fish tanks, slate is used -- the weight helps the stability. A granite tile would work well, and they're readily available, though drilling is more of a challenge (diamond bit, I'm guessing). Marble tile may be easier to work.

Reactions: kennyb123

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn’t thought of stone but that’s a good idea!
What about some pet safe plastic? Better or worse than slate or granite? My only concern would be the weight.

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
Well, PVC sheet is easy to work with, and small pieces are available on Amazon. It isn't heavy, though, so depending on how much weight you have to stabilize might not work as well. It is somewhat flexible, too, so nothing thinner than 1/2" would likely be safe.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you are using eggcrate in your false bottom just cut a piece of pvc or old nylon cutting board from a thrift store. Put the plate you made below your egg crate and screw through it into your drift wood. Or prop the drift wood into the position you want it and great stuff around the base to hold it and then cover the great stuff with substrate.

Most drift wood will break down really fast. Only use something like mopani wood. You can get pieces at pet shops or fish stores for like $10-$30 depending on the size.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You can gorilla glue the wood to the base no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts