Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok made my first 10 gallon vert tank. My only problem was figuring how to get the door working. I ended up super glueing some brass hindges and duck tape over that. It's ghetto for now, but notced every one else uses some thing else? I was wondering what does every one used for hindges? I used tank silicone to seal the bottom part of the glass on the tank but it didnt hold the hindges well. Some help would be nice 8)

·
Registered
665 Posts
10" long acrylic piano hinges siliconed to the glass. This has always worked for me and holds extremely well if done correctly and with patience.

rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the hinge I use an aquarium type flexible hinge.
I get it from OUTWATER
I do run a small bead of silicone in the hinge for safety. The thing I like about this over the piano style hinge is that it is physically held in place and not just siliconed. But I do know many people that have used it with no problems.

Here is a picture of the tank:

Hope this helps,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clear

I found clear aquarium flexible hinges that i've been using. got my tank set up just like that with the clears on it. they are easy and look great.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I found them also at that website called http://www.mcmaster.com I jsut searched under slip over piano style hinge or something on that order. It said the middle piece is white I believe, but better than all black in my opinion, although I am fond of Ben's since he left the black trim on. It all goes together now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben's design is what I have used and I really like it.Especially with the swing down doors and the screens.I bought my hinge material at a pet store that caters more to fish then anything.I can't remember the price but if someone gets it from a pet store make sure to get the right size for the glass you are going to use.
Mark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ben,

What are you using at the top of the front opening panel to keep it tightly closed and in place?

Bgreen said:
I get it from OUTWATER
I do run a small bead of silicone in the hinge for safety. The thing I like about this over the piano style hinge is that it is physically held in place and not just siliconed. But I do know many people that have used it with no problems.
Matthew Mirabello
Ithaca, NY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Matt good to see you on the board!

I am using a combination of a s/s bolt, nut and locking nut, and a window screen holder. I used to add a little nylon washer on each side of the swivel, but have found them to not be needed. I have a few pictures that I need to load to my site of them, but have been busy working on other projects.

I will post them on this page when I get more time (maybe later today)
http://thechocohut.homestead.com/DIY_20gal_Vert.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Matt,
Sorry I haven't posted the pics to the page, but I just lost my computer to a storm. When I get my own computer back, I will post the pics.

Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bgreen said:
I get it from OUTWATER
How do you order from them, and how much is it? It looks like it's sold in 100' rolls, but it says 12' above. This site is very confusing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts