Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, just wondering what yall think of the versa-top aquarium glass tops they sell at the pet stores. at a glass shop i went to they quoted me around 20 dollars for a top to fit a 29 gallon. it would actually be 11$ however i asked for a special cut so the price went up. Anyhow i was at petsmart and saw the versa tops they cost around the same price however i notice it has around a 2in plastic spacer along with a rubber hinge. my question what would yall recomend? Thanks

i know theres advantages in both i like the rubber hinge on the versa top but not a fan of the plastic spacer.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you were using the top for a horizontal tank then its actually a wonderful top. You can swap out the rear plastic slip on for a screen vent of the same width and you would have the perfect setup.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I use these tops on all of my horizontal tanks. I just dab a little silicone on each end of the piano hinge because there is a small gap there and I cut out some fiberglass screen, bug proof, and tape it nice and neat with black tape. Looks nice. Lately I've been covering up the majority of the screen with tape because my tanks are not humid enough. I leave a very fine line of a gap for the tank to breathe.

I'm kind of thinking of putting that gap towards the front of the tank, not sure how I'll feed through the back, but I noticed the front of my tank gets covered with condensation and the back remains clear because of the screen. I would really love that clean glass on the front. Still thinking on how to do this without it being too complicated to feed.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have versa tops on 3 of my vivs and they work perfectly. You may want to experiment with putting the screen vent at the front instead of the back to keep the front glass clear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks guys looks like versa tops it is. my first concern was light penetration but i tested using brothers top and it really didnt make any diffrence . its a lot more convient to buy an already fitted glass top then to order one especially since they run around the same price. well thanks again yall.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm kind of thinking of putting that gap towards the front of the tank, not sure how I'll feed through the back, but I noticed the front of my tank gets covered with condensation and the back remains clear because of the screen. I would really love that clean glass on the front. Still thinking on how to do this without it being too complicated to feed.
You can hot glue gun the vent to the front and slide the glass to the back. It really just shifts the door to the back and there shouldn't be any complications.

Are you using the actual screen framing?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry, this is not my thread, but I think this might be helpful to the user who started the thread. I do not use the framing for the screen because I'm too lazy. I have all the materials to make one. You are saying if I make one I just scoot the lid top back behind the screen so that the opening is the center glass of the top?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts