Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. SSSSSOOO. I'm considering getting some vents, and i had several questions to ask. The first is how do they like their setup? Do they like lots of arboreal space? Or more ground space? The second is how big of a group could I keep them in? I have a 20 gallon, and a 60 gallon. I'm guessing the numbers will vary with those two sizes, so any help would be great. Thanks!

Edward

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also. is there another way to sex them other than calling?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hey Guys. SSSSSOOO. I'm considering getting some vents, and i had several questions to ask. The first is how do they like their setup? Do they like lots of arboreal space? Or more ground space? The second is how big of a group could I keep them in? I have a 20 gallon, and a 60 gallon. I'm guessing the numbers will vary with those two sizes, so any help would be great. Thanks!

Edward
A 20 is good for a small group. They will use both ground and arbroeal space if they have enough branches and plants

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine stay on the ground and in plants most of the time. I rarely see them sticking to the glass or the background. I would go with no more than 4 in the 20 and 10 in the 60. I have actually kept them in both those size tanks in those amounts. Breeding is better in smaller groups or pairs though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok BEAST. Thanks guys. Yeah I was thinking about probably no more than 4 in the 20.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I don't think I would go any more than 6-7 in the 60 gallon as the percentage of usable space by the frogs goes down inversely as tank size goes up. It would also depend on the dimensions of the tank, but from what is easily attainable, the rule would still apply.

Mine stay on the ground and in plants most of the time. I rarely see them sticking to the glass or the background. I would go with no more than 4 in the 20 and 10 in the 60. I have actually kept them in both those size tanks in those amounts. Breeding is better in smaller groups or pairs though.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Smaller groups are better since they can become aggressive with eachother despite there small size. I would go 4 in a 20 and keep it at that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have 4 broms in my tank with some drift wood going from the bottom to the side and upper back of my viv with a few plants on the ground and leaf litter. My vents hop from brom to brom and I sometimes see them down in the leaf litter eating what ever they see. They are very bold. When I stick my hand in to feed them they rarely hop away they just sit there and look at me. The tank is very heavily planted so there is a lot of hiding places.

hope this help.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
I generally keep 4-6 in a 20H tank, heavy planting and they like it WET. Mist daily. Seal tank.

Breeding in water filled petri dishes or film containers on diagonal and water inside.

I have a number of adult/subadult French Guyana 'yellow' vents from UE if you want to start an inexpensive group to test out. PM me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I sat outside with a bottle of bug repellant and worked on this for a while. I underestimated how much GS I would need, so I will be making another trip to Home Depot tomorrow. Haha all input and suggestions are always welcome!

@Shawn...Thanks a lot dude. Actually, I'm going to the Atlanta Repticon, and a vender there is going to have a sale 4/100, so I think I'm going for that. But if I ever want some more, I will certainly check with you!

/Users/ebenton199/Desktop/IMG_20110707_182553.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the link. I still have two sides to do, as you can see.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
@Shawn...Thanks a lot dude. Actually, I'm going to the Atlanta Repticon, and a vender there is going to have a sale 4/100, so I think I'm going for that. But if I ever want some more, I will certainly check with you!
whenever you can save shipping :D, its a good day. Thats the price I had in mind.

Have a great show, and good luck with the build out!

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
The vents I brought for the Repticon are nearly adult size, too ;)

One neat thing I've noticed about vents - they will breed like rabbits in a vivarium until their population reaches a certain density, and then all reproductive behavior stops. I have not witnessed any aggression before.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a question of my own. I heard from Understory Enterprises that thumbnails can be mixed with dendrobates and phyllobates. Is this true or not?

P.S. Not to seem annoying or anything, but the modern name is Ranitomeya ventrimaculata. Just letting everybody know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts