Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,284 Posts
vents

Everyone pretty much covered it here but I would like to add that it all comes down to what you want to do. The canisters are easy to take out and remove eggs from. The broms provide a more natural look. They will lay in both, but in my experience the canisters are a better choice despite the aesthetics. Mine tended to lay in the canisters and sleep in the phytotelmata of the broms. Only once in two yearsthat I had broms in there did they lay in the broms. I have used black and white canisters and theys seem to make no difference...it is all in the placement. Place a few on the ground a some at the top. make sure that they have plants to climb to access the canisters at the top. I have also noticed that the canisters must be positioned at at an angle less than 90 degrees, otherwise they are less likely to lay in them. I guess this makes sense due to the angle of broms leaves. Hope that helps!

Justin

· Registered
1,284 Posts
benmz said:
This helps out very much. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on any breeding progress, that is if I have a pair. Is the only way to tell is vocalization or is there body shape differences between the sexes. One of mine definately seemed a little plum near the bottom. Is that indicative of being a female (I don't want to offend anybody here)... as with tincs and some of the larger frogs?

-Ben
Ben,

The female tends to be slightly larger and definately more plump. Watch them when they are close together- sometimes you may not hear the male calling but you will see the vocal sac going. If you have a picture of them next to each other please post it and I can most likely tell you. I have had great success in sexing them and am almost 100% accurate.

Justin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.