Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have been preparing my viv for about the last 6 months, the shots I have posted under the members vivariums section is here:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/75154-18x18x24-viv-build.html

I live in upstate NY where it gets pretty cold in the winter, so I wanted to monitor my temps during the cold seasons before I got any frogs. I keep my viv in the living room corner for display.

In July, August, and beginning of September the temps would range from about a high of 80 during the day to about 68 at night. Now that fall has come and winter is around the corner the ambient temp in the room has dropped significantly. I keep my thermostat around 68, and my viv temps are now around a high of 75 and a low of 65 at night. I can only imagine that this is going to get lower as the winter comes. So I think that it's time for me to think about a reasonable way to supply a heat source and start getting temps consistent.

The frogs that I want are going to be Ventrimaculatus. I have read up a lot about them and have seen that a low of 65 isn't bad, but I'm willing to bet that much more wouldn't be too great.

Having given you all the background, I have just a few questions:

Is there anyone on the boards that is very into vents? I would love to pick their brains on temps, fauna, and feeding.

I am only really interested in doing one viv right now and will work to make it 'perfect' for a while, so I don't think that I would even need to culture too many flies to provide for say..4 -5 vents? I'm really not too sure, but would love to talk to someone that does.

Thanks for the help everyone~

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as FF's go, I think you would need two cultures made every week. One culture is most likely enough for 4 frogs, but the second is a backup incase of culture failure until you get confident with the FF production. Or if you know someone close with food as a back up then the one per week would be sufficient. A culture will last longer than a week, but I rather have too many than not enough and have hungry frogs. I'm just that way. The heating...there are a lot more people with much more heating experience than me, but I will give you my two cents. My tank has enough water underneath the eggcrate to have a heater. The heat from the water is dispersed under the substrate and heat rises. So I have a warmer earth. In your situation, a heating pad should be enough to raise your temps. The only problem you will get with a warmer viv than the room is the condensation will be a lot higher on the inside of your tank. But more condensation with warmer air makes happier frogs. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I wouldn't keep four ventrimaculatus in an 18x18x24 tank.... There are some variabilis that I might, but not the kind I assume you're referring to....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It should be noted ventrimaculatus is now variabilis,anyways,I've kept varis for some time,you should put around 25 flies every other day for two,which is what the maximum number of frogs should be in an 18 18 24. Also make sure to seed your tank with springs,and a lot of them! They loooooove to munch on springs,also provide lots of cover and a thick(2-3 inch) layer of leaf litter,also try to provide a brom or two,because they like sleeping in the cups,if you wanna ask anything else just pm me

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It should be noted ventrimaculatus is now variabilis,anyways,I've kept varis for some time,you should put around 25 flies every other day for two,which is what the maximum number of frogs should be in an 18 18 24. Also make sure to seed your tank with springs,and a lot of them! They loooooove to munch on springs,also provide lots of cover and a thick(2-3 inch) layer of leaf litter,also try to provide a brom or two,because they like sleeping in the cups,if you wanna ask anything else just pm me
I think I hear Ed coming to ask where you got your numbers:D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is 4 vents in a 18x18x24 really overcrowded? I'm asking because I currently have a viv this size in the works for the 4 vent froglets I have growing ATM.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Well not all vents are variabilis, some from French guina and Iquitos are considered Amazonica.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is 4 vents in a 18x18x24 really overcrowded? I'm asking because I currently have a viv this size in the works for the 4 vent froglets I have growing ATM.
It's not the space so much as the territorial behavior between same sexed individuals. It can be done if it's a well-planted and large tank, but my rule of thumb is to keep thumbs as pairs. Froglets can be a different matter as the aggressive behaviors aren't as manifested until they begin to reach maturity.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I find vents do very well in groups and I have really never seen any serious aggression. I think you could definitely keep at least four in a 34 gallon tank without problems.
Bryan

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I agree. As long as you don't waste space on an unneeded water feature and make good use of space. Add ledges/shelves and don't get carried away with 3" of GS background material. Lot's of plants and leaf litter. Throw in a nice piece of ghost wood to climb on.
For Vents, it should be fine. Other thumbs like Imitators, should be in pairs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. As long as you don't waste space on an unneeded water feature and make good use of space. Add ledges/shelves and don't get carried away with 3" of GS background material. Lot's of plants and leaf litter. Throw in a nice piece of ghost wood to climb on.
For Vents, it should be fine. Other thumbs like Imitators, should be in pairs.
That is the consensus that I had been reading before. Thanks

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find info on the upcoming expos that might be in New England? I know there is one in White Plains Nov. 27th, but I wanted to wait till at least January to get frogs. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts