Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what a vent call sounds like. I came home last night and was checking out my vent vivarium. As I got close to the viv, I heard a faint noise coming from it. It was rhytmic, but irregular. Kinda like a buzz, buuuzzz, buzz. Is a vent call a little irregular, short and longer pauses and different tones?? I heard 2 tones one higher one lower with each buzz. Could it be that he's still getting the hang of it?

I have 2 in the tank, one of them was visible. It was on the glass and I have suspected it was female (plump body). On observation, it was not the one calling. No vocal sac expansion. So I hope it's a she like I expect.
I'm hoping it was the suspected male that I didn't see calling from inside a bromeliad. What do you think??

-Ben

·
Administrator
8,734 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis.

Their calls are a bit like Imitator (buzz, buzz). I can't tell you much about call length/period (I've got real lousy hearing - but I have seen them call).

Body shape is a real easy way to sex Vents. The "parallel sides" (male) vs. the "pear shaped" (female) body.

s

G

·
Vents

I am not very good at describing sounds, but you accurately described my vents calling. They just started to call about 2 weeks ago. Very faint - almost like a whispered buzzing, and last night I found my first 3 eggs from their tank. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts