Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 55gal but am stuck on the vent. How should I, in your opinion, arrange the vents? One on either end? across the entire front? entire back? Thinking I'd do 1 1/2" -1 3/4" if they were on the ends and prob only about 1" if across front or back? I was thinking front to help keep glass clear, but then I got to thinking about how to attach in the back or if to attach in the back. I'm kind of looking for as large an opening as possible for ease to work inside. I've seen a few, but how many people would not attach the glass on top at all? Just use a solid piece and gravity, been trying to devise some sort of clip to hold it down. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do a vent across the front. Or circular vents drilled into glass lid. And the lid sits inside the black trim, not on top, so you don't need to silicone or clamp anything.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I siliconed the back half of my lid (its hinged). I read in a few places that as your tanks grow in, some plants you may choose are able to grow and lift the lid and allow for escape. So I figured better safe than sorry.

Do a vent across the front. Or circular vents drilled into glass lid. And the lid sits inside the black trim, not on top, so you don't need to silicone or clamp anything.

sent from my incredible...mind

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it sits inside the rim, but thank you. I was more thinking of what suztor said about the plants lifting it. I would feel way more comfy if something held it down at least in the back, just don't want to lose opening space to the hinge. I'll figure out a clip of some sort and go with the solid piece I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts