Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use ENT (European style) vivs mostly, and yes they are vented with 1 wide one on the top, and another in the form of a step vent at the front. It helps to reduce condensation, plants seem to like the air movement created by this arrangement too. I have no idea if it is of any benafit to the frogs.

Ade

·
Registered
975 Posts
Imo venting is very important. I have vented every one of my vivs. It is easier to just cover them when you want to increase the humidity then to try and decrease it without a vent.

A stagnant viv is not good

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
IMO, the more ventilation you can have while still keeping temps & humidity in the ideal range, the better.... frogs don't sit inside of stuffy boxes in the wild.

That being said, if you have any Amereega, wait till you hear them call before you decide ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Why would you not want some ventilation? I mean, is the rainforest ventilated or not? I was at a local pet shop this weekend that just got some darts in (at ridiculous prices I might add, $100 for leucs) and they said the breeder recommended no ventilation at all. My tanks have always done best with some ventilation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone post some pics on how they vented so I can get some ideas? And does anyone have humidity problem with having the vents?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pumilo: Thanks for the links, they are just what I am looking for now that I am in the process of building a new exo 18. Question on your window screen DIY: (In my case) when I put the screen on top of the exo would I need to silicone the glass to the vent, joining them, or just make sure it fits tightly, since the lid will never be removed?

Also for anyone: Is the placement of the vent critical? Meaning it is better to put in front as opposed to the back, or middle?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have never had vents in my tanks, but I do have good internal air circulation. I honestly dont think ventillation is any better then not having it (other then euro style which keeps the front clear of condensation). My vivs smell extremely fresh and clean when I open them up, just like a jungle. While feeding and misting you will supply the tank with fresh air, the fans and plants do the rest intermittently.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Pumilo: Thanks for the links, they are just what I am looking for now that I am in the process of building a new exo 18. Question on your window screen DIY: (In my case) when I put the screen on top of the exo would I need to silicone the glass to the vent, joining them, or just make sure it fits tightly, since the lid will never be removed?

Also for anyone: Is the placement of the vent critical? Meaning it is better to put in front as opposed to the back, or middle?
The screens in my how to thread are going to be very lightweight. If you do not silicone them, some sort of attachment would be in order. I think most determined frogs could squeeze under them.
A vent anywhere on the tank will be good for it. Some locations will help more with clearing the glass than others. I think you will get the best assistance clearing the glass with one at the lower front and one at the upper rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts