Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on the poison-frog website and was reading under the plant section. Under that section it says that plants need ventilation. My question is since I have an all glass top that would mean my plants are not getting any ventilation. On another not they appear to be growing from what I see though.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Even with an all glass top, you will have some level of ventilation in your viv. I suspect what the website was really getting at is that plants have different needs and tolerances for wetness. Provided that you select plants that tolerate high humidity conditions, have proper drainage and knowledge of any special needs for certain plants, you should be okay.

Sometimes it comes down to trial and error in terms of understanding what does well under what conditions. Some plants like pothos are very forgiving and seem to grow like weeds under a broad range of conditions. Others like tillandsia are less forgiving but if you have them set up properly, they will thrive in your viv.

I have found that establishing the planted viv and figuring out what sorts of plants do well where is as much fun as having frogs :lol:

Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Not everyone does this but I always make a distinction between ventilation and circulation. Many plants do fine in the relatively stagnant air of a barely ventilated vivarium. The plants that have become popular in vivaria tend to be able to tolerate these conditions. But there are many plants that don't do well without air movement around their leaves and roots. Orchids are a prime example but many broms and ferns also appreciate a breeze. Air movement does not always have to be ventiliation (air exchange between inside and outside the vivarium) but could come in the form of circulation (air movement inside the vivarium). So you can have minimal ventilation but still have good circulation that benefits many plants. Of course you can also increase circulation by providing ventilation but in dry climates it becomes difficult to keep the humidity up. If you stick to easier to grow tolerant plants, you can get by with fairly low ventilation and no circulation. If you want to bloom orchids, you need to think about air movement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts