Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of cutting a small slot in the acrylic top of my small 10 gal quartine tank for ventilation was wondering though would regular window fiberglass screen work or would FF's be able to get through it if so what would work? thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
flies can get through window screen. I use mosquito mesh (netting) for mine. If you have any sporting good stores or surplus stores you should be able to find some. It is like 5 dollars for a yard, and even fly larvae can't get through it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now that i think about it is there anywhere you can get like a window screen frame? or maybe if i just made a small frame for some screening out of acrylic and then just had the rest of the top glass so i wouldn't have to worry about warping and FF's escaping. any ideas on how i can add a small vent on top?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can make a nice screen for pretty cheap. What I do is go to lowes and buy one of the window screen frames they sell. They are like 8' long. I buy a bag of .140" screen spline and a 4 pack of screen corner pieces. Just cut the frame into pieces and connect them all to the corners. A hacksaw comes in handy. Then you put the screen over the frame and push in the spline to hold it in, you can buy a cheap spline tool but I just use a screwdriver. Also, I forget which size corners to buy... It depends on the tank size really, but don't forget to match it with the same size frame. When you have everything together, it's not hard to figure out. You cam make a pretty small screen section using this.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info do will i be able to cut the frame with a dremel tool? or is it too thick? as i live in an apartment and don't really have a hacksaw haha. and will the .140" screen prevent FF's from escaping?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well hacksaws are only a few bucks at those stores too if you wanted to pick one up. A dremel should be fine! The stuff is made of aluminum, it's just like a thick soad can. I have been told to use one of the coated frames since they don't corrode as easily.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the .140" is the size of the spline I use. Spline is this black rubber rope stuff.... You use it to hold the screen into the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts