Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to make it clear I cared for each of these frogs seperatly for 2 years before mixing. I had a pair of vents in a 15 vert and a Auratus in a 55 that I had kept for a couple years and the male vent died, so I decided that because the Auratus never climbs on the background and that is the only place I saw the female vent I would try mixing them. The back of the 55 is solid vines about 3 inches thick so I figured there would be plenty of space for the vent to hide if it felt in threat. Well I saw the vent on and off for about a month and then I never saw it again... Until yesterday, about 2 years after I had last seen it. I took the Auratus that I had in the 55 out and put him in a smaller tank and put 4 young Auratus in the 55. Then three weeks later I see the female vent that is nice and fat chasing around the young Auratus in the tank, the Auratus were eating and the vent almost looked like she was trying to court with them, but they were not paying any attention to her and were just eating acting like nothing was wrong. Was this the female trying to court with them or was it being aggressive but the Auratus did not care?
I did separate the vent when I saw it happening so now she has a 15 vert all to herself but I was confused by the behavior.
Any insight on what was going on would be nice

Thanks, Curtis

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Pretty much impossible to tell for certain what was going on. We could speculate all day long.

It's very difficult to construct a dual species tank where there is little or no interaction. But if I had to guess, I'd say the vent was being territorial.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was thinking but I would have thought the amount of time I have been watching them that I would have seen the vent being territorial before now.

Thanks, Curtis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.