Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my adult pair of variabilis!! They are everything I expected and more. It was hard finding any info on these guys and the little bit I did find said they were shy so was a little apprehensive. They aren't shy by any means. I would say say they are more jumpy than shy. Sudden movements scare them, but within 1 min they are out romping around again. So far everything has gone perfect. The link is to my KS gallery. I just uploaded 4 variabilis pics. Enjoy!!

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl ... 00&thumb=1

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
They look great! Glad to hear you are happy with them. I would fatten up that female if you plan to breed them ( which you should :wink: ). Was the original owner not breeding this pair, or they still a little young? Just wondering. A very cool little frog, good luck with them :D.

G

·
0 Posts
nice frogs. They look like a mix between imitators and vents. Where did you find them?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer the popular question. I really don't want to release this guy's name because he a relatively low key frogger, and I'm 99% positive he doesn't have left in his collection. He doesn't have anything else for sale at the moment. The pair is almost 2 years old, so prime breeding age. I am taking things one step at time though. They need to become acclimated and comfortable in their new home before any attempts at breeding are made. I also have a somewhat abstract question for those of you who are breeding imitators (this has to do with the fattening the female comment). Do female breeding imitators get 'fat' like vents per say? Now that I think of it, I have never really seen a pic of a fat imitator or variabilis. It just makes me think. Glad you all like the frogs!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't think they get as fat as some of the vents can get, but I do notice that my imitators ballon up before laying. So yes and no, lol. They (the 2 variabilis) just looked about the same size around the waist, so I was wondering if the female should gain some weight before any breeding attempts were made... thats all. Next time I see a fat female imitator I will try to take a picture, but I have seen way fatter vents then imitators.

I will second the warning of the highly contagious thumbnail bug... its pretty harsh on the wallet :) .

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
jbeetle said:
I don't think they get as fat as some of the vents can get, but I do notice that my imitators ballon up before laying. So yes and no, lol. They (the 2 variabilis) just looked about the same size around the waist, so I was wondering if the female should gain some weight before any breeding attempts were made... thats all. Next time I see a fat female imitator I will try to take a picture, but I have seen way fatter vents then imitators.

I will second the warning of the highly contagious thumbnail bug... its pretty harsh on the wallet :) .
I will have to second that notion of hitting the wallet hard- I have had the experience of realizing that I just spent my grocery money on frogs...Ack! So, I didn't eat for a few days..so what?

A friend of mine had some pretty fat imitators before. They were just as fat as some of my vents. So it is possible. Maybe they just have a higher metabolic rate than other thumbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts