Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had two highland variabilis since June. They were 2 and 4 months old then. One has been calling for months and now I am also seeing eggs.

Here's a picture of two laid near the mouth of a film cannister. I believe there might also be a cluster of them near the center of a bromeliad. And this is all I can see near the front of the vivarium. Who knows what lurks in back.

Since I've never cared for eggs before, should I just leave them there, or try to place them in cups?

·
Registered
57 Posts
That seems like a weird spot for variabilis to lay especially when there is a perfectly good film canaster right there! Anyways you've got to leave the eggs for 48 hrs anyway to give the male a chance fertilized (I personaly leave the eggs until I can see some sort of developement, at least a week +) After that I suggest you "pull" the eggs and rear the tadpoles yourself as variabilis have the reputation of not being the greates parents. Hopefully that gives you a start, I suggest you take advatange of the "search" feature of this site as there are countless threads of successfull tad/froget rearing meathods.

Ryan

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. There are now two film black cannisters in there.

I have a setup now to keep the eggs moist & at a constant temperature, but those eggs are gone now. It looks like a snail got them. The snail is now history, too.

Snails started appearing within the past month, or that's when I first noticed them. I pick them out when I see them, but didn't know they would eat frog eggs. I think this means it's time to tear down the terrarium and bleach the plants again.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Given that variabilis usually lay under the water line snail shouldn't be a problem in the future for your pair. I've also found that just by keeping the snail number in check I haven't had issues with them eating healthy eggs in any of my tanks, that I've noticed at least.

So IMO you should be fine as long as the snail population stays at a reasonable level.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know for sure if those blobs on the clay wall were really eggs. After seeing other's pictures of thumbnail eggs, I'm not so sure.

I am sure I have eggs now, though. Here are pictures of two in a cannister.

How's my setup? I already had a heating pad on the side of this 2.5-gallon tank, so I put them in there. I set the thermostat to 73 during the day, 71 at night. There is a solid glass lid so very little humidity will escape.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't know for sure if those blobs on the clay wall were really eggs. After seeing other's pictures of thumbnail eggs, I'm not so sure.
I work with thumbnails and those were definitely eggs. No doubt in my mind. You can do a lot to control your snails by putting a piece of iceberg lettuce in the viv. It's like candy to them! Toss it in at night and pull it first thing in the morning. Doing this several nights in a row can be very helpful in controlling them. It probably won't eliminate them completely but if you keep on top of doing it now and then, you should be able to control the problem.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I've had really good luck with my Southern Variabilis in black film cans with half a white film can inserted to fill the bottom half. I place them at various heights on the side wall. Right now all of them have eggs. I try and place them where a leaf drapes over the entrance and where there are more natural entrance/exit points such as plants, wood, etc. I set them at a slight angle such that the back part of the can holds water.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I will try iceberg lettuce. I have been coducting Operation: Gary Must Die for the past few weeks and caught dozens of snails.

They seem to prefer the black cannisters, sure enough. I like your idea about lining the black cannister with a white piece of cannister. Not only does it make them easier to pull them out, but it would make eggs easier to spot by giving them background contrast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts