Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues with my highland variabilis pair. I have 1.1 in a 15H vert that are 14-16 months old. They have been producing eggs for 8-10 months now and I have gotten 8 healthy froglets from them in that time. However most of the eggs they lay are infertile or don't develop completely. The incomplete development I assumed was an issue with vitamin A so I seperated the pair for 2-3 months and began a biweekly human grade vitamin A supplementation, which I am continuing currently. When I put the pair back together it seems I am just not getting fertile eggs, I've had maybe 1 or 2 out of 30 start to develop. They always lay in filmcanisters just under the waterline.

Anyways I can't seem to figure out why I can't get more fertile eggs from them.

I feed 2 times weekly and dust each time with Repashy ICB.

I have considered adding another male to see if I can boost fertility, since this has been an on going issue for this pair. However it is possible that this isn't the issue...

any ideas?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting to hear you have a similar thing going on, I always did think that it had something to do with them laying in the water but I thought all vent group frogs layed this way. I think the two things I can try are pulling the eggs, and lower the water level in the canisters to almost nothing.

Have you tried either approach with your pair?

I have had the same troubles with my pair. They seem to always lay in the film canister by the water line and the eggs never seem to make it. A couple of weeks ago for some reason my female laid her eggs in a brom and out of the 4 eggs 3 of them turned to tads. I thought maybe I had to much water in the canisters and the eggs are getting to wet.... If you figure this out please let me know....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.