Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues with my highland variabilis pair. I have 1.1 in a 15H vert that are 14-16 months old. They have been producing eggs for 8-10 months now and I have gotten 8 healthy froglets from them in that time. However most of the eggs they lay are infertile or don't develop completely. The incomplete development I assumed was an issue with vitamin A so I seperated the pair for 2-3 months and began a biweekly human grade vitamin A supplementation, which I am continuing currently. When I put the pair back together it seems I am just not getting fertile eggs, I've had maybe 1 or 2 out of 30 start to develop. They always lay in filmcanisters just under the waterline.

Anyways I can't seem to figure out why I can't get more fertile eggs from them.

I feed 2 times weekly and dust each time with Repashy ICB.

I have considered adding another male to see if I can boost fertility, since this has been an on going issue for this pair. However it is possible that this isn't the issue...

any ideas?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have had the same troubles with my pair. They seem to always lay in the film canister by the water line and the eggs never seem to make it. A couple of weeks ago for some reason my female laid her eggs in a brom and out of the 4 eggs 3 of them turned to tads. I thought maybe I had to much water in the canisters and the eggs are getting to wet.... If you figure this out please let me know....
I have been having issues with my highland variabilis pair. I have 1.1 in a 15H vert that are 14-16 months old. They have been producing eggs for 8-10 months now and I have gotten 8 healthy froglets from them in that time. However most of the eggs they lay are infertile or don't develop completely. The incomplete development I assumed was an issue with vitamin A so I seperated the pair for 2-3 months and began a biweekly human grade vitamin A supplementation, which I am continuing currently. When I put the pair back together it seems I am just not getting fertile eggs, I've had maybe 1 or 2 out of 30 start to develop. They always lay in filmcanisters just under the waterline.

Anyways I can't seem to figure out why I can't get more fertile eggs from them.

I feed 2 times weekly and dust each time with Repashy ICB.

I have considered adding another male to see if I can boost fertility, since this has been an on going issue for this pair. However it is possible that this isn't the issue...

any ideas?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting to hear you have a similar thing going on, I always did think that it had something to do with them laying in the water but I thought all vent group frogs layed this way. I think the two things I can try are pulling the eggs, and lower the water level in the canisters to almost nothing.

Have you tried either approach with your pair?

I have had the same troubles with my pair. They seem to always lay in the film canister by the water line and the eggs never seem to make it. A couple of weeks ago for some reason my female laid her eggs in a brom and out of the 4 eggs 3 of them turned to tads. I thought maybe I had to much water in the canisters and the eggs are getting to wet.... If you figure this out please let me know....

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have tried to lower the water level this last time and she laid the eggs closer to the water deeper in the cup. Also for some reason she will only lay in the white cups i thought maybe it was to much light coming thru the canister but they dont seem to like the black cups. I am not the most advanced frogger so it seems everytime i pull the eggs they never survive i took that as i just didnt do it right or was not keeping the eggs right.
Interesting to hear you have a similar thing going on, I always did think that it had something to do with them laying in the water but I thought all vent group frogs layed this way. I think the two things I can try are pulling the eggs, and lower the water level in the canisters to almost nothing.

Have you tried either approach with your pair?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts