Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for the poor quality but I wanted a pic of all three together. The frogs are about 8 months old. The frog on the left is a confirmed male. I believe that the middle frog is a female and the frog on the right is another male (I have not seen him call - now I understand that he may not be calling because of the other male). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Roots, good looking frogs! im looking for a group myself, but if there are multiple males in a large enough tank, they should both be calling... thats if hes old enough which 8 oow should be, but are you 100% sure the other isnt from a younger clutch?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roots, good looking frogs! im looking for a group myself, but if there are multiple males in a large enough tank, they should both be calling... thats if hes old enough which 8 oow should be, but are you 100% sure the other isnt from a younger clutch?
Actually Im not, I did not ask I got them from Sportsdoc in May. I just assumed they were.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
hmmmmm!
http://www.frogforum.net/content/im...ates-imitator-schulte-1986-care-breeding-128/

"Males defend small territories from rivals, and as recently shown by Brown et al. (2010), the lack of natural food in such tiny pools has led to this species becoming completely monogamous - a pair mate until the death of one of the partners. By remaining completely monogamous, the pair ensure that their tadpoles receive adequate food to develop to metamorphosis in their otherwise nutritionally inadequate pools.
ideally, they should be kept in pairs. While many hobbyists report success with keeping them in groups, this is generally in larger terraria than most used by the novice, and it is generally the more experienced hobbyists who have long term success keeping this species in groups. In numbers higher than a pair, there are often reports of one male dominating the other, thus rendering the second male redundant. There are many reports of these "third wheel" frogs, and "third wheel" females living short lives."

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I plan to remove the third wheel once I am sure of the sex of the other two frogs. The frogs are currently housed in a 20L and I have seen no signs of aggression.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
My experience with intermedius was different, the 2nd male started calling instantly when I separated them but never did before that. He also put on a good amount of weight after being separated. I'd say it comes down to the personalities of the individual frogs... but that's one of the reasons I keep my adults in pairs now, it's much easier than guessing since we can't ask them how they're feeling.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yeah i was thinking they were in a larger tank like 40 or 55.... lets face it, i havent seen Roots go small on any of his builds ;)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Based on my very limited knowledge and short amount of experience with my group of varadero I think you are right. My female is fat and pear shaped like the frog in your middle picture. My male has more parallel sides like the two frogs on the left and right of your picture. Based on that I'd say you're 2.1.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on my very limited knowledge and short amount of experience with my group of varadero I think you are right. My female is fat and pear shaped like the frog in your middle picture. My male has more parallel sides like the two frogs on the left and right of your picture. Based on that I'd say you're 2.1.
Thanks, I love these little guys - they are quite fearless and are all over the tank - although despite what I have read they spend the majority of their time in the leaf litter hunting stuff down.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmm, the on the far right is looking a bit skinnier than the other two. I would remove it and see if it calls on its own.

I test this by playing audio of a calling male very softly. If the frog seems agitated and perhaps calls, it's obviously male, but if it seems interested and is eager to go toward the noise, it is very possible you have a female.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not sure of sex.. but beautiful frogs. I picked up a bunch of basic frogs but for my last tank on my rack I am holding out for some varaderos.

·
Registered
465 Posts
this might not be the right tank t0 have my group in but i have 4(2.2) in a 12x12x18 exoterra... i planed on moving them out once they became adults but after about 1 1/2 years, and excellent egg production i dont think i will ever move them out... both males call all day as long as i mist the tank. and drop eggs throughout the tank(ussually in places i cant get them and i have to wit till they transport the tads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts