Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Congrats on the baby frog.

I have a froglet that has turned out simular as yours Megan with a lot more blue then one would expect. So far after a week out of water it has not changed much at all. In fact out of 8 I have right now he/she has the most blue out of all of them....They all have seemed pretty constant in color and pattern, pretty much simular to the parents.

I can try and get a pic too....

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Hi Megan,

Congratulations on the varadero froglets, just wanted to ask when the froglets morph out would they be able to feed on Melo .FF? The reason I am asking it because I have some eggs from my varadero and was wondering pinheads crickets or FF is small enough for newly morph varadero froglets?
Not Megan but,

I use springtails and regular, stunted melo fruitflies from old cultures for my froglets I also dust the FF with Repashy ICB, Supervite, Superpig. They do seem to morph out big enough to eat regular size melo fruitflies though not sure on pinheads as I don't use them.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
I am still kind of new in FF , how do you get stunted melo FF?
Like Doug said older cultures, those that are at the end of the production lifespan. The flies that come from these older cultures are much smaller then flies that are produced when the cultures first start out....Keep them seperate though from your good cultures as in some cases tend to have higher population of mites in them.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Thanks for the INFO , will take note.. Anyway any idea what the life span of Varadero and the i had read up somewhere that they can start breeding at the age of 6 mth and above but mine are giving me 90% infertile eggs,maybe mine are too old to breed ?.. Sorry M rybecky if you feel that i am hijacking here.
Doubtful they are to old to breed, most likely to young. They can breed early but that will be regulated by the age and maturity of the female. Mine we both about 10 months out of water before I noticed any breeding behavior.

From what I understand they can live in the 10s of years....But I am not sure cause I have not heard of anyone with them that old. But again they have only been in the hobby for about 3+ years.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
My male started calling around 7 months i think.... Just s few weeks after i got my first clutch. The eggs I have been getting have all been fertile tho. What are you suplementing them with? I don't mind the "hijack" :) I got the info I was looking for.

I like him too!!! I'm thinking about keeping him :) but I'm not sure yet... I already have a pair. I have another 15 tads, maybe I'll get another like him.
Crazy breeders are they not? I can barley keep up with tads and egg clutches. Not sure what I will do once the second pair start.

Good luck with the rest of the tads.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.