Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Azureus, Vanzolinii
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted this guy last week. This guy is around 14 months. Overall he's awesome, and quite active I see him all the time.

I've seen him eating flies but not nearly the 20 or so a day I've read others say their ranitomeya eat.

He's not super fast like I've heard ranitomeya described. Bit of a slow hunter.

He kind of walks more than hops. And a couple times I've seen him jump but then fall on his back and struggles a bit to get back up. His movements can be a little jerky. Is that normal?

Does this guy look too thin to you? Sorry for tons of photos wasn't sure what angle best.

What's best guage of his overall weight/health?

Thank you!

Plant Insect Arthropod Vegetation Terrestrial plant

Insect Arthropod Pollinator Organism Pest

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Trunk Terrestrial animal

Pollinator Butterfly Plant Natural environment Insect

Salamandra Fire salamander Plant Mole salamander Terrestrial plant

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
My vanzos are a lot more deliberate in their movements than, say, sirensis (which are lightning fast when they want to be). Falling on its back isn't right, though.

Might look a little thin, but not too far off from my males.

I would just keep on top of supplementation and keep an eye on him.

· Registered
Azureus, Vanzolinii
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My vanzos are a lot more deliberate in their movements than, say, sirensis (which are lightning fast when they want to be). Falling on its back isn't right, though.

Might look a little thin, but not too far off from my males.

I would just keep on top of supplementation and keep an eye on him.
Thank you! Maybe he's still acclimating as well.

How many flies would you say a healthy one should eat a day?

I have a roughly 1/2in. banana slice in there for feeding station to help him bulk up and hopefully get some fat larvae. But he doesn't seem to have gotten the memo since there's flies all over it still 🤷

I seeded the tank pretty well with springtails so maybe he's snacking on those...

I hesitate to keep adding flies because he's not finishing all the ones a put in every day. I tried to estimate roughly 20. The ones left have cleaned themselves off.

But I've also read that as long as there's trace amounts on the flies when I put them in and they're not visibly white anymore they'll still get supplements?

· Administrator
5,123 Posts
But I've also read that as long as there's trace amounts on the flies when I put them in and they're not visibly white anymore they'll still get supplements?
This is correct, based upon experiments that one of our members did several years ago.

What I would do is try to feed just a few (5 or so) flies the next time you're feeding, and then if the frog eats them add a few more.
He kind of walks more than hops. And a couple times I've seen him jump but then fall on his back and struggles a bit to get back up. His movements can be a little jerky. Is that normal?
When he's falling backwards is he trying to get over an object and failing to, or is it just when traveling over flat ground?

· Registered
Azureus, Vanzolinii
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once when he fell over it was trying to hop onto a branch. The other time was when he was trying to pounce on a fly I think. He's not super aggressive with the flies. He seems to sit and stare at them a while even if they're moving all over the place.

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
This is correct, based upon experiments that one of our members did several years ago.
There's published data somewhere, too, though I think with crickets -- about five hours IIRC.

Did this frog come directly from a quality breeder, or....?

· Registered
Azureus, Vanzolinii
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, last couple days I've heard him start calling! It's super exciting and I love the sound!

Is that generally a good sign of health/settling in?

I understand that vanzolinii like to be in groups but if I can't find a female for him soon is that going to be a detriment to him?

There's a guy locally who has 2.2 breeding group for sale and willing to separate a 1.1 for me. But I'm guessing they wouldn't be a good mix?

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
No response from the seller 😑
The longer I am involved with animals, the fussier I get about who I buy them from. Take from that what you will. :)

I limit vanzolinii to sexed pairs or multiple pairs. The size of the viv would make a difference here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts