Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
leave it in. the parents will do all the work for you. It can be tricky getting them out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In my experience, if a tad is already halfway grown in a bromeliad it is best to leave them with the parents. Maybe because the dietary / environmental change when you pull them out is to large. However, pulling eggs from the viv to raise yourself has proved to be most succesfull in my situation.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If you pull an egg when it is in the embryonic stage (before it is wiggling, as a general marker), it is more likely to abort from malformation.
Also, if the egg becomes turned upside-down, it could abort.
I leave my eggs be and let the parents raise them unless they lay more than they can handle. Then I pull the eggs when I see tads swimming in them---even then the slightest tear in the egg membrane could introduce fungus and kill them. Careful, now.
Use blackwater extract in the water around the eggs when/if you pull them to reduce the amount of pathogens.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I carefully remove the clutch. I usually do this after the eggs develop a neural tube / spinal cord (see picture). This way I know for sure that they are developping. Place them in a petri dish, half under water with tadpole tea (tea boiled from oak leaves). Make sure you keep the eggs moist and just wait till they wiggle themselves out of the egg. Also, don't hurry with moving them after they just hatched, just let them sit for a day or two before moving them to your breeding setup. I never had much problems with mold and such, but maybe this differs from pair to pair.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts