Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked in my petstore, and every battery siphon there just suck dirt out, but don't remove water. I want to find a way I can siphon the 3 inch layer of water out of my giant plant terrarium in my basement, and it will be virtually impossible just to scoop it out. Anybody got any suggestions or a brand that I can find?

G

·
I go along with the shop-vac, they start at around 1 gallon, you can find that size at garage sales for under $5 sometimes.

G

·
true you have to be carefull, but if you have a false bottom, you can siphon all the water out pretty easily, especialy if you have a siphon tube at the top of the tank

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Do they still make small ones? I used to have one years ago when I had fish, but it was a bit large. I just use a siphon and start it with a small kids medicine thing a ma bob... Works well, but somthing powered would be better.

Rain_Frog said:
I have looked in my petstore, and every battery siphon there just suck dirt out, but don't remove water. I want to find a way I can siphon the 3 inch layer of water out of my giant plant terrarium in my basement, and it will be virtually impossible just to scoop it out. Anybody got any suggestions or a brand that I can find?

G

·
syphon

my roommate used a doo-hickey from an aquarium dealer. it looks just like the rock sucking syphons with a long piece of vinyl tubing connecter to a 2 way splitter that connects to the faucet. once conneced turn the faucet on and it starts the syphon. thats my story and im sticking to it

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I've heard of people using the devices that you use to extract gasoline from your tank in your vehicle. Make sure it's new and washed thoroughly and I would clearly mark it for H20 only.

·
Registered
886 Posts
For those of us who keep large numbers of aquariums and (for now) just a few darts, a "python" water changer is indespensible. It is the "doo-hickey" that aritolla mentioned. It can be used to drain or fill tanks using only gravity and/or the suction of the faucet. I empty and replace over 100 gallons of water a week... in a little under an hour. Very little waste as long as your sink is below the water level of the tank.

see here: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/pro ... ry_id=2937

JOSH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts