Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, (soon)1.1 R.Imitator Varadero
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if I should be worried about the uvb from a light for my vivarium, a few people from my family have had skin cancer and I dont know if it could affect me and increase the probability of skin cancer or if it wouldnt do anything to me.

thanks.

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, (soon)1.1 R.Imitator Varadero
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, hahahaha just wondering if it would be any danger with my genetics to stand near and trim and that kind of stuff.

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
I personally wouldn't be worried about it, but if you are, there is no compelling reason to provide UVB for the frogs you have listed in your profile (tincs, thumbs). Quality care can be easily provided without it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m going to have pumilio bastimentos so I sort of do.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Just by curiosity why? I have read it makes them more active and sing more.
I'm quite sure the observation you read is not a fact but simply an interpretation from the writer.
Activity and singing is triggerd by other factors. Pumilio makes tend to sing all day btw..

Providing pumilio or any other dart frog uvb has proven almost no benefit. It's similar to waterfeatures, if difficult to get it right, but very easy to mess up. When we mess up, the animals always paying the ultimate price for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so you don’t think I should add it for pumilio as it’s more or less what they have in the wild.
I'm quite sure the observation you read is not a fact but simply an interpretation from the writer.
Activity and singing is triggerd by other factors. Pumilio makes tend to sing all day btw..

Providing pumilio or any other dart frog uvb has proven almost no benefit. It's similar to waterfeatures, if difficult to get it right, but very easy to mess up. When we mess up, the animals always paying the ultimate price for it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
so you don’t think I should add it for pumilio as it’s more or less what they have in the wild.
On what are you basing that?

Research found pumilio males expose themselves only for a very short time to uvb in order to burn their skin to be more attractive to females. They don't get exposed to uvb all the time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Where was the info on them exposing them to uvb to make them more attractive Tijl? If you don't mind

1 - 16 of 16 Posts