Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past week I have received a shipment and sent a shipment USPS. I know it was my bad for shipping this way and I will never ship USPS again and this is the story why.

On Monday the 30th, I had a shipment of thumbs shipped out from Utah through USPS Express. They were guaranteed to be here on the 31st by noon. Well, at 1pm USPS had no clue where my package was and boy did both the shipper and I complained. They promised I would be called when it arrived at the post office sorting facility a few towns over. I decided the morning of the 1st to take a drive there. I was passing my towns post office on the way there when I received a phone call. My frogs were at the local post office!! I went in and grabbed the frogs ripped open the box to find them all alive. 4 phase packs and double styrofoam boxed saved the frogs. The shipper received his money back for the delayed shipping.

Since it was a trade, I needed to ship back my frogs to him in Utah. I chose to wait a week and let us both get some rest from the ordeal. Shipping frogs sucks when they get lost. We decided to try our luck with USPS again! Mistake mistake mistake!! Who thought it could be that bad back to back. I shipped on Monday the 6th and had it held for pickup at his local PO. At 11:20a on the 7th when he had not received a call, he called looking for the package. We were shocked when we heard the package was out for delivery. The PO try calling the delivery guy and could not get ahold of him. They finally sent someone out to drive his route and retrieve the frogs. The frogs arrived at the PO and signed for at 11:56a. If my buddy had not been diligent in tracking the package, it would have been late again!

I called and lodged a complaint with USPS about both shipments. Two days later (today) I received a call back. The lady on the phone was very apologetic and understanding. She said she would call both post offices and let them know what had transpired and inform them they need to be more careful with 'hold for pick-up' packages.

About 20 min after hanging up with her I received another call form the same lady. She was calling to let me know that we should not have received a refund for our first shipment! The PO does not guarantee 'live' shipment to be within 24 hours at all! They need the extra time to ensure the live cargo is not on the same plane as something cooled with dry ice or other CO2 releasing packages.

Moral: Do not use USPS!! From now on its Ship your reptiles!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Btw these were my first two bad experiences with usps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well You're not the only person having problems with USPS in the last 2 weeks..I'm not sure what has happened over there, but that place is turning into a joke quite fast.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have had several issues in the last 5 months with them.one just this past week!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Found this on my door step .Lucky it was just some plants. It was smashed soaked then wraped in plastic. Ow and nothing inside.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jake, I completely agree with you. I must have said that to everyone I spoke to at usps. Chris does pack the frogs well. I usually wouldnt ship in the winter, but he did a great job.

·
Registered
546 Posts
USPS is great for shipping, everything but frogs. Frogs need to go FedEx. overnight.
USPS is great for plants because 2 or three or even 4 days the plants are still alive. Frogs not so much, we spend so much on the animals, the good shipping costs , be prepared.

Daryl

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree but usps uses fedex planes. It really shouldnt be that much difference. There are horror stories involving each carrier.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Used USPS to ship frogs once, they arrived on time but were delivered when they were supposed to be Hold for Pickup. I was really suprised by the doorbell at 10 am with the postman standing there with the frogs. I pointed to the "Hold for Pickup" sticker and aske him whats that about. He just says oh, Sign here please.

I went to the PC later that day and nerd raged. I'd even called them the next day to give them a heads up that I was expecting a hold for pickup package. I got a refund because they were even able to go check my carrier's box and found a note to look for that package. It turns out another carrier was delivering for her that day. The next time she came on Friday she knocked and apologized. I think I'm lucky that my local USPS carriers do at least try.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I agree but usps uses fedex planes. It really shouldnt be that much difference. There are horror stories involving each carrier.
The difference is that they don't use the Fed-ex tracking system so it does make a lot of difference.... All because packages end up on a fed-ex plane doesn't mean that they are handled the same...

Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The difference is that they don't use the Fed-ex tracking system so it does make a lot of difference.... All because packages end up on a fed-ex plane doesn't mean that they are handled the same...

Ed
Additionally, you are going through two systems.
1) Processing through USPS system where it may or may not be scanned one time and one time only for the rest of the trip. USPS freely admits they don't even bother with the initial scan much of the time.
2) Travel time to Fedex--no tracking
3) processing and travel time through Fedex--no tracking
4) Travel time from Fedex to USPS--no tracking
5) Processing through USPS system again--no tracking
Compared to
1) Processing and travel time through Fedex using scanning with real time tracking

Now take this into account. If something happens and the plane fills up, who's packages are going first? FedEx's customers who paid a premium price, or USPS's cheap wholesale account?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not arguing with anyone on USPS logistics. I spoke with many people within the organization about the way things are. Thanks for the added info guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, sounds like you have all been lucky with USPS... I have not had as GOOD of luck. I lived in Huntsville, AL for 3 years and all I can say is shipping through the USPS is just like throwing money in the trash. A personal fav was when I ordered a snake hook... the mail person took the 4 foot box, bent it in half and jammed it in my mailbox. I cant tell you how many boxes we got with only half the stuff in it... they would just attach a note that it was damaged in shipping... somehow all the valuable items would be the ones missing. We have been gone for 5 years now, but my wife sent 6 gift cards to different people in that area in December... not a single one made it. I dont think we ever got a credit card or check in the mail. It took our bank 3 tries before they realized they should fedex the bank card. The post masters that I filed complaints to just said I was wasting my time and I should use a different shipping service. I was shocked... but they are right.

Now all that said, I have had frogs killed by every major shipping company. Once I had Fedex throw a box that was supposed to be held at the location on my front porch in the snow... I had been on the phone with them just 4 hours before and they said they had the box and would hold it. I didnt get a refund (credit, the sender sent it as COD or what every their equiv is), they sent me to collections. It happens with them all. You can pack them well, but if they go missing and never show up again, does it matter how well they are packed?

I recall personally going through 8 bins of boxes one night because the shipping company (dont recall which one this time) hadnt seen the box all day... so I said I will do their job for them... and I found my box. I have no idea why the manager let me, but it just speaks to their incompetence. In the end, I have found that NONE of them will honor insurance if a live animal is involved... if you get money from the insurance, consider your self lucky.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I've had issues with both fedex and USPS and I'll never use either of them again. The people there are incompetent and rude. I've only had one problem with UPS and it was not a big deal thanks to proper packaging. The package was delayed a day. They knew where it was. So it wasn't lost like with USPS.

I will ONLY ship UPS. At least then my package probably won't come with a giant bash in the side of it (Fedex). Or the delivery man won't leave the package at the end of my driveway when it says it needs a signature (USPS).

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You can pack them well, but if they go missing and never show up again, does it matter how well they are packed?
Are you saying it doesn't matter if you pack them well or not??? I don't understand that phrase at all. How would you know that they will never arrive? Hope for the best but plan for the worst. I had a shipment of Vanzolinii disappear for 10 days through USPS. Fortunately I believe that frogs should be packed as well as you possibly can. All 4 of them survived and are now producing froglets in Staten Island.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I've had issues with both fedex and usps. One of the worst was shipping to L.A. I don't think ill ship there again.

I did have a package shipped last week usps that arrived prior to noon. Cost $18.50 too for overnight. One state away so shouldn't have been hard to get it right. Tho I still didn't have 100% confidence in them and I probably wouldn't with any shipper. Too many negatives to have 100% confidence. Fun putting trust in others to do things they say theyll do, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts