Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after reading a whole lot about lighting and finally deciding that T5's are the best way to go, I quickly realized that sort of lighting was not in my budget. Especially since I want to light just about every shelf on my 2 bakers racks that I just got. So, I went with the Walmart Shop Lights and put 1 GE Daylight Fluorescent T8 6500k 32watt bulbs in each shop light. I know it takes 2 bulbs and I tried two bulbs but it was just soooo bright. It was like those alien movies where a person is lit up by the spaceships lights and you have to squint to look in that direction because they're so bright. So, I took one bulb off and now it looks really nice.

Is it because they are 32Watt bulbs that it's too bright? Is 64 total wattage for two 20H tanks too much? Right now I have only one on the shelf but the one to the left of the racks is going on the same shelf with the other one.

Here are pics of my setups...Images are with just one bulb in each fixture. Only one fixture so far in each rack.

1st Baker rack with a 29 gallon tank in my living room until I make more room in the frog room for the rack:

Closer up:

Even closer of tank itself:

2nd Baker Rack with one 20H tank, soon to be 2 in my frog room:

Closer UP:

Even Closer:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I use those lights one most of my racks and consider them to be a bit dim, I actually double them up to run four tubes per level on most of the shelves.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm getting from most threads i find using walmart shop lights. But what exact bulbs are you using? The same exact ones I mentioned 32w? If so, do you do anything extra to the hood to prevent so much light going out into the room and just going straight down into the tank?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The tubes I use are made by Philips rather than GE but are otherwise similar, 32 watt 6500K. I don't modify the fixtures in any way, it is probably just a matter of getting used to them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use these for my plants - they are dim compared to some other things out there, but they are cheap, last a long time, and are easier to use, than anything else.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use the $9 shop light from lowes on my 55. I use 40w bulbs 6500k.. I actually turned one off b/c it was too much heat on my glass. Once I raise the fixture up and build a hood I am going to go back to two bulbs. I think they are PLENTY bright even with one.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that's why I put up the full rack shots because I wanted to see if I maybe had them too close or too far the tanks?

But from what I hear, two is normal to use for this setup. I will try adding it back in and see if I get used to it. If it's better for my plants (and don't bother the frogs) then I will do that.

If I decide to keep the one bulb, are there shop lights that are made for just one bulb? I didn't see any at Walmart.

Thanks!

·
Banned
685 Posts
It is the 6500k that is throwing you. I switched all the bulbs in my house to 6500k and it took some getting used to. I like it now. It is more crisp and vivid light. Especially great in winter. Picks up your mood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts