Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I head into my first build for a few years, I am seeing a few vivariums that have been constructed using spyra. I have yet to use it myself, but it looks like a cool concept.

My main questions for all of you smart people are first, where do we find this stuff now that Folius is on hiatus, and second, for those that have used it, was it worth the cost?

Thanks for any info! Just want to make sure it is worth tracking down.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Spyra is no longer offered, however I offer Hygrolon (Hygrolon) which is the original synthetic growth media that Spyra was based off of.

As far as how to use it, pretty much however you want... can be used as a background, there are premade lianas that I offer, you can make small pillows or rocks from it, etc, etc.

Personally, I liked it a lot, I have a tank with a background, and I have a tank with just llianas in it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The issue that spyra, hygrolon and any other of the fabrics of the type have that they don't exactly absorb water so much as disperse it -which is fine (and does what we want) as long as there is more water than it can hold. The moment, however, that water content slips below 100% EVERYTHING starts to dry out much quicker than you'd expect.

I find it more useful for specific and specialized instances rather than as an all around, general purpose material.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts