Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having issues with my melanogaster flies, so I threw them all away and ordered new cultures, but got Hydei flies instead of melanos. The media I have to make new cultures is for melanos, but is it okay to use for the Hydei too?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Dunky,

I use Josh's melanogaster media to grow melanos, golden Hydei, and black Hydei. I think you should be fine with using the media you have for the Hydei.

Good luck, Richard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the prompt reply!

I also am using Josh's Frogs media, so I'm glad to hear it will work with the Hydei. I wasn't against ordering new media, but I wanted to get new cultures started tonight. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I keep having issues with my melanogaster flies, so I threw them all away and ordered new cultures, but got Hydei flies instead of melanos. The media I have to make new cultures is for melanos, but is it okay to use for the Hydei too?

Thanks.
As the others said, the media that you have will work just fine. Just remember that the Hydei have a longer breeding life cycle, almost twice that of the melanogaster. Melanogaster go from egg to adult in about 12 -13 days, Hydei take 25 -30 days. Therefore you should double the amount of food that you would use for Hydei then you would use to produce melanogaster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.