Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on constructing(in the most loose form of "construct" as possible, lmao) an aquatic, living landscape. This will be designed to fascilitate any pond type larv. I have uploaded some pics of the tangle I am considering using as a "base layer". The plan is to use small flat stones, with larger stones atop to anchor the plants down. The trick is to anchor ONLY where needed. Allow a good bit of the vegetation to be able to rise up. I am going to add a good cover of leaf litter to the floor creating a great enviro for naturally occurring isopods like moina and such. A small spongefilter will be used, but it will be encased and protected. Duckweed will top it off(literally, lmao), and will act as a secondary filter, and primarily as cover. Will this be suitable?

Thanks so much!!!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Suitable for what? Where did you get that pond scum and duckweed? I'm not sure what you'd like to do here but anything on the bottom layer won't get as much light as the top layer, and could die off.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If you don't regularly harvest the duckweed and it forms a mat you could not only have it cut the light to the submerged plants but it could actually inhibit oxygen exchange with the water column.

Have you considered the potential effects of all of that plant matter on the pH? During then day if there is enough light they will emit oxygen but at night it will scavenge the oxygen and respire CO2 which will react with the water to form H2CO3 which drives the pH down as well as reducing oxygen in the water column.

Ed

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This tank has never received lighting and has been like this for 2 years. I want to force the tangle of vegetation to the tank floor, and have it act as a filtering, pleasing, substrate. I think, as long as the tangle is not too "mashed" under rocks, etc, it will just reach up, and form a kind of living floor.

JBear

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If the tank doesn't recieve any light how are you sustaining plant growth?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The room the tank is in has a wall that is glass. It gets filtered sunlight. That is all. The plant is a predatory plant that lives commonly as a biproduct of other plants, as I have been told. It is not predacious in that it traps tads, etc. and consumes them...More or less shows up as a benefactor to high organic content.

JBear

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If it is recieving light then it is driving photosynthesis and this can cause significant pH changes and loss of O2 at night.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most tads locally will gulp air. Many breeding pools here are quite deficient of oxygen. I don't see this as a great risk, except when attempting this with none natives...

Thanks Ed!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More pics to come... (Going Now)

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Won't the sponge filter help to balance the oxygen loss at night? Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am very pleased with this tank. I think it has potential for raising many diff species.(seperately) The floor will rise and grow up a bit, but the leaves will fall, and it should balance... I suspect there will be blooms of various aquatic worms, etc. This tank is best suited for short term raising, IMO.

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the opinion on functionality for local tads? It seems to be a haven for them thus far... Can any dart be raised in this manner? Maybe a lot more leaf litter?

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After the tads are grown and out, I will keep a bloom of daphnia to control plant die offs, and excess wastes of any kind. They will hunker down and be a seed after winter, moina is as well...

JBaer

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some more pics:

I will try Tinc tads like this as my group did well as tads in a similar setup.

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cont.

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone ever done something similar for dart tads? What was the result?

Thanks!

JBear

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
^ first, the tank looks great, and is a cool experiment IMO but....

^ the issue most people have with raising 'local' tads, collecting algae and microfauna locally is the inadvertent exposure of the tank, and your collection to Chytrid.

While I think the tincs and other communally raised tads would grow well under those conditions [minus the invasive duck weed IMO], some will tell you that starting out with a sterile tank and rocks, and adding vegetation from safe[r] sources like established aquaria that have never been exposed to amphibians is the best way to start out....

and then adding native tads to your pdf frog room is a risk. In other words unless you are planning on growing them out, and testing the frogs for Chytrid, how can you trust your collection is safe now?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a great point! I never thought of that... I would rather not potentially crash my frog room... Thank you!

JBear

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I still don't get what you're doing here but that duckweed will rot being tangled up in the algae and stuck underwater like that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts