Dendroboard banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
it will be a struggle...we are a mammal-centric society....even in the zoo world....despite frogs being such an indicator species....it will take a lot to pass such important legislation...
This is not a legislation but a rule change. Hug difference, since there is not a congressional vote needed. Rule changes are based on summited comments, hearings, and testimony at hearings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Snip "I have analyzed over 3,000 chytrid samples and I would guess that a person with a qPCR machine (which is not cheap) could run samples at $5 each."

This is the single biggest deterrence IMO. I will soon be dropping $100+ on my first par of frogs obtained last week to test them. Many people wouldn't be willing or can't do that however. If the sellers don't mention it to newcomers they may not be able to afford the costs of properly keeping a frog. My sellers never mentioned more detail than quarantining new additions.

This is a complicated business issue. Ideally sellers would put ethics and awareness first and enlighten newcomers. This probably won't happen. Also testing would add to the cost so either a seller sells a $50 frog - $30 for testing he only made $20. Alternatively (and not applicable to any possible laws) a responsible buyer does it making it an $80 frog.

If tests could somehow be done for $5 and even more conveniently, by someone onsite at expos that's a cost people of all types and means could handle. I don't think $5 will make or break a buyers decision who to buy from. Furthermore, whether the cost is added to the price or not, saying a frog has been tested chytrid free is a selling point to even a newcomer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your position with regards to the USF&WS proposal seems untenable,as you have noted, there are too many humans and too many threats to frogs.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would personally hate for this hobby (through the importation and/or trade of Bd-infected animals) to be a participant in the further spread of these strains into areas and amphibian populations that have previously been uninfected by them.

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts
I would personally hate for this hobby (through the importation and/or trade of Bd-infected animals) to be a participant in the further spread of these strains into areas and amphibian populations that have previously been uninfected by them.
Then do your due diligence and regularly test your collection and new acquisitions for harmful pathogens. Be part of the solution.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts