Dendroboard banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I must say I was Very disappointed by the amount of names that should have been on their. I really hope it is a case of everyone waiting till the last minute. I would really be upset if so many people from here were afraid to speak up, stand up and be counted, while we still have that right.
Bill, I understand what you're saying. Sadly, the number of people commenting from hobbyist sites is incredibly small. Really, when it comes down to it, 488 comments up until close of business today (obviously that doesn't count the ones made after the clerical workers at USFWS went home for the day) is a small amount when compared to the membership of hobbyist amphibian sites. Looking at the names, I recognized 10-20, and only a few from dendroboard.

I hope there were other last minute people like myself (I always leave everything to right before deadlines!). But if there aren't, don't take it personally - that's just the way people tick.

There are also comments that were mailed in via hard copy. Those will be posted later however those also have the option to be posted with the names hidden.
Ed, I sincerely doubt USFWS' mailbox was full.

My comments are here.
Wow Web, that was fantastic. You obviously put a lot of work into it. Well done.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Wow Web, that was fantastic. You obviously put a lot of work into it. Well done.
Thank you, John! Coming from you, this means a lot to me. I would have liked to organize my citations and connect the dots a bit more, and I noticed there are a number of typos that should be corrected, but, like you, I tend to leave things to the last minute.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to most of the research papers I cited in my reply to the DOW petition:

Articles on Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis: the amphibian chytrid

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am a little perturbed that my comment hasn't shown up on their site today, yet it was submitted yesterday...

However I don't see a submit comment option any more.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I am a little perturbed that my comment hasn't shown up on their site today, yet it was submitted yesterday...

However I don't see a submit comment option any more.
I was also a little surprised that my comment did not show up yet, but there were other comments also submitted the same day I sent mine... I touched on many of the same points you did, but worded it slightly different and also talked about some other things. I hope there were more comments submitted from hobbyists than only what is showing up right now.
Bryan

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I submitted mine at the last minute (Not posted yet). I used part of TWI response along with some if the citations I posted. One of the biggest things is to keep your comments short and to the point. Multi page responses will not get read. If you submitted a long response, I mean no disrespect, but it is the sad. Mine ended up two pages with citations, with the response on page one. Here is what I summited:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Division of Policy and Directives Management
Attn: Docket No. FWS-R9-FHC-2009-0093
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222
Arlington, VA 22203
RE: Docket No. FWS-R9-FHC-2009-0093

Dear Fish & Wildlife Service,
I am concerned with the current request to stop all transportation of amphibians under the Lacey Act. Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis is a threat to all amphibians and has shown a decline in populations globally (1-4). There is evidence that imported amphibians for the food industry may be harboring Bd (5-8). Research has also been shown this deadly fungus can be carried by migratory birds (9), which would transport this fungus to millions of locations. In addition, fish could also carry Bd and fisheries pools can contaminate our water resources (10).
Restricting the movement of amphibians will do little if nothing to stop the spread of amphibian Bd. It is worth noting that some wild populations have rebounded with some species such as chorus frogs and bull frogs becoming resistant. With little know on how the rapid spread the addition of all amphibians to the Lacey Act will not stop the spread of Bd. No evidence has been shown that Bd has spread through the pet trade, or that it may have spread through the transportation of amphibians in the private sector.

Jason Juchems
2005 and 2008 President of the Central Illinois Herpetological Society

1) Berger L, Speare R, Daszak P, Green DE, Cunningham AA, Goggin CL, Slocombe R, Ragan MA, Hyatt AD, McDonald KR, Hines HB, Lips KR, Marantelli G, Parkes H. Chytridiomycosis causes amphibian mortality associated with population declines in the rain forests of Australia and Central America. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 1998;95: 9031-9036.

2) Berger L, Speare R, Hyatt A. Chytrid fungi and amphibian declines: Overview, implications and future directions. Declines and Disappearances of Australian Frogs. Ed. A. Campbell. Environment Australia: Canberra. 1999:23-33.

3) La Marca E, Lips KR, Lotters S, Puschendorf R, Ibanez R, Rueda-Almonacid JV, Schulte R, Marty C, Castro F, Manzanilla-Puppo J, Garcia-Perez JE, Bolanos F, Chaves G, Pounds JA, Toral E, Young BE. Catastrophic population declines and extinctions in neotropical harlequin frogs (Bufonidae : Atelopus). Biotropica 2005;37(2):190-201

4) Lips KR, Burrowes PA, Mendelson JR, Parra-Olea G. Amphibian population declines in Latin America: Widespread population declines, extinctions, and concepts. Biotropica 2005;37(2):163-165

5) Fisher MC, Garner TWJ. The relationship between the emergence of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, the international trade in amphibians and introduced amphibian species. Fungal Biology Reviews 2007;21:2-9.
6) Mazzoni R, Cunningham AC, Daszak P, Apolo A, Perdomo E, Speranza G. Emerging pathogen of wild amphibians in frogs (Rana catesbiana) farmed for international trade. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2003;9(8):995-998.

7) Garner TWJ, Perkins MW, Govindarajulu P, Seglie D, Walker S, Cunningham AA, Fisher MC. The emerging pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis globally infects introduced populations of the North American bullfrog, Rana catesbeiana. Biology Letters 2006: doi:10.1098/rsbl.2006.0494.

8) Hanselmann, Rhea; Rodríguez, Argelia; Lampo, Margarita; Fajardo-Ramos, Laurie; Aguirre, A. Alonso; Kilpatrick, A. Marm; Rodríguez, Jon Paul; Daszak, Peter; Magnitude of the US trade in amphibians and presence of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and ranavirus infection in imported North American bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana), Biological Conservation, Volume 142, Issue 7, July 2009, Pages 1420-1426

9) Johnson, Megan L.; Speare, Richard; Possible modes of dissemination of the amphibian chytrid Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in the environment. Disease of Aquatic Organisms. Vol. 65. 181-186. 2005

10) Green, D. Earl; Dodd, C. Kenneth Jr; PRESENCE OF AMPHIBIAN CHYTRID FUNGUS BATRACHOCHYTRIUM DENDROBATIDIS AND OTHER AMPHIBIAN PATHOGENS AT WARMWATER FISH HATCHERIES IN SOUTHEASTERN NORTH AMERICA. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 2(1): 43-47 Submitted: 7 March 2007, Accepted: 30 March 2007

Sent notification: 80bb8b79

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Bill, I understand what you're saying. Sadly, the number of people commenting from hobbyist sites is incredibly small. Really, when it comes down to it, 488 comments up until close of business today (obviously that doesn't count the ones made after the clerical workers at USFWS went home for the day) is a small amount when compared to the membership of hobbyist amphibian sites. Looking at the names, I recognized 10-20, and only a few from dendroboard.

I hope there were other last minute people like myself (I always leave everything to right before deadlines!). But if there aren't, don't take it personally - that's just the way people tick.

This is a very sad turn out of comments. Lets not forget that a portion of these comments are in support of this action. I would say it is plausible that 1/3 of the comments are in support. Putting 300+ comments against. Not a good turnout.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Amazing how more effort was spent by hobbyists debating the issue on the forum-- where its futile-- than actually spending time writing a letter to the USFWS.

Man, it took me a long time to figure out how to use the submitter search feature but I found my letter.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I have no doubts that it was very empty. I mailed my comment in but I kept it short and simple. I mailed it this time as I was wondering if it could be like contacting a politician where mailed comments end up getting greater weight.

I have a strong suspicion that the ruling is going to go against the petition as the USDA has declared it non-actionable.

Ed

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Good thing no one's being an alarmist.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
"he" posted that. (hence the STF screen name)

use the search feature and look to the thread about this organization for further comment though ;)

james

101 - 120 of 130 Posts