Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a build i am working onat the moment that has a lot of vertical space. Ive looked at a LOT of the viv builds and most go with the textured back with pots built in or the coco board. i looking for an idea thats a little more dynamic and usable than just a vert wall of plants

so anyone else know what to do with 72" tall of vert space with floor only at 21"X13"?

any help will be greatly appriciated.

ive been watching this, as i have a feeling it will be somewhat similar?
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/62037-150-vert-construction-wip-pic-heavy.html

·
Banned
685 Posts
Here is a pic I took a few years ago when I started planting. I don't have any updated ones here at work. will try to get some on later. uses the whole area not just the back wall.

It is 36" diameter by 60" tall

·
Registered
564 Posts
Those are some crazy tank dimensions! Do you happen to have a pic of it? I'm just curious how you're going to access the areas of the viv once its up and running.

Have you thought about mimicing a tree trunk covered in epiphytes? That would make good use of the vertical space available.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
lighting the whole space well will be your biggest problem. I second the tree trunk idea, and hopefully you get some good lighting ideas from other threads. Personally, I think I would shy away from such a tall vert, because of the lighting issues, but Im sure it can be pulled off, maybe with LEDS? Id put smaller broms up top so to minimize the light lost to the mid and lower levels.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
plants will for the most part be micro plants and height of the plant would be determined by light level required. there will be side lighting involved.

access isnt an issue by any means!

The buttress root is my so far #1 idea was going to do a GS/carboard to create the butresses.

i didnt want to post pics yet but i can see where it is needed with the question i have. :( but this is the idea to create a Buttress root with forest flooring. this is a $40 project so far

·
Banned
685 Posts
everything is covered in tillys, broms, and orchids and ferns. I made it so the front slides off in a groove. you can see the groove in the wood at the bottom. Will see if I can get time to post an updated pic tonight

·
Registered
81 Posts
Before you begin work on your tree buttress you might wanna read my build. Gonna update in the next couple days with full details, but the way I did it worked really well. I just want final pics to show and have a bit of detailing still to do.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, I'll keep an eye on it then!
I thought about it more and a downed tree would provide a self like system and can do some fun plants

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you guys think of auratus in the tank? I see they like to climb. The other are thumbnails, an I'm more a fan of slightly larger PDFs. I see the rule of 10gal per frog but you think 5 or 6 auratus would be too many?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts