Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use the super strength high concentration tap water conditioner for my darts?

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
what product exactly are you asking about?
There's only one with that name.

If the question is "Is this product suitable for removing chlorine or chloramine from tap water before using it for misting my darts or raising tadpoles" the answer is 'yes' with the caveat that distilled/RO water is a far better option for misting.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
247 Posts
This is just my opinion but I would be wary about adding any chmicals to my darts.
If it is possible you might set your water out..
"Water needs to sit for a minimum of 24 hours to dechlorinate. It can actually take almost 5 days for chlorine to evaporate completely from the water, depending on the initial concentration of the chlorine, and the total volume of water." (Fish Tank Master - Your Guide to All Things Fish Keeping)
You can use distilled water.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is just my opinion but I would be wary about adding any chmicals to my darts.
"Water needs to sit for a minimum of 24 hours to dechlorinate. It can actually take almost 5 days for chlorine to evaporate completely from the water, depending on the initial concentration of the chlorine, and the total volume of water." (Fish Tank Master - Your Guide to All Things Fish Keeping)
You can use distilled water.

Dechlorinators are used by fish and frog keepers with no ill effects, I would not worry about using dechlorinators, just stay away from any with extra weird stuff added in... like aloe or hemp extract.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
247 Posts
Dechlorinators are used by fish and frog keepers with no ill effects, I would not worry about using dechlorinators, just stay away from any with extra weird stuff added in... like aloe or hemp extract.
Oh? That's good to know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a fair amount of freshwater planted tank experience….none with frogs. Typically, planted tank hobbyists would prefer Seachem Prime over the API “equivalent”.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
Be aware that most municipalities do not use chlorine -- they use chloramine, which does not evaporate (that's one reason they use it).

I learned something in trying to figure out which or how many cities use chloramine:

"Some communities switch back and forth between chlorine and chloramines at different times of the year or for other operational reasons." So, you can't know what you're dealing with on any given day.

From Water Disinfection with Chlorine and Chloramine | Public Water Systems | Drinking Water | Healthy Water | CDC

Oh, and +1 on Seachem Prime. Respected product.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
247 Posts
To add a funny story about chlorine;

I was a roughneck for large water wells - neighborhoods and some contracts with the city of Houston.
After we finished this new well we had to add several bags of chlorine to the new hole to treat the water. As I was adding each bag I used the well's pedestal to rest the heavy bags on while leaning over the bag and pedestal. After that was done I noticed that the left front of my pants was missing down to the pocket!! The chlorine ate right through just like battery acid. Well, needless to say I had to finish out the day with a large hole in my front.

So, that is my funny encounter with chlorine. Haa hahaha!

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
Cool article, but there's a part that's very confused. The article uses 'chlorine' and 'chloride' interchangeably, here:

"Maintaining fairly low levels of chloride in the water. Chloride is a disinfectant used to kill pathogens (bacteria, viruses, and protozoa) in water. It is a balancing act for water treatment operators to maintain an optimal chlorine level in the water. There needs to be adequate chlorine to prevent the growth of pathogens and disease outbreaks, while too much chlorine increases the amount of lead leaching from the pipes. Additionally, too much chlorine causes the formation of chemicals called disinfection by-products regulated by the EPA because of adverse health effects.
Flint had very high chloride levels in the water, averaging 85 parts per million (ppm) in August 2015, compared to Detroit’s treated water chloride levels of 11.4 ppm in 2014."

Chlorine is used for disinfection and has a maximum average contaminant level of (IIRC) 4ppm; chloride has no EPA regulation limit, and is added in a coagulant compound, which is why the level was high.

The website itself is perhaps not as interested in debunking junk as it claims:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow I didn't even notice that. As for ACSH itself, I don't agree with every stance they've taken but they wrangled me in years ago with articles that absolutely destroyed so called celebrity diets and all "natural" health/beauty products.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts