Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... Its almost go time! Im going to be picking up 4 sub adult tarapoto imititators (5mo or so) on thursday. Still waiting on some more bromeliads, springtails, pods, and leaf litter but they should all be here no later than wednesday. I was having issues with humidity so I went with a full glass top which then caused heat problems that required a solution. the avg temp was about 86 degrees so my goal was to come down a full ten degrees without having to cut back lighting. The system was incrediably easy to set up and only required a drill. I started with two 170 gal rated air pumps t'd two of the outputs on each pump together then drilled a few holes in the vinyl backing on the glass top and ran some airline tubing and suction cuped the returns to the sides and top. One of the pumps has a humidifier that all four returns are connected to. It consists of a two litter bottle an airstone and a sponge. The sponge is connected to the lid on the bottle, the input has an airtstone running down into the container which is half filled with ro water the return pumps constant moist air into the viv keeping the humidity a constant 90%. I also used a zoomed aqua cool (basically a blower that is intended to blow air over an aquariums surface to cool the tank off) cut a hole big enough to fit the nozzle into the vinyl backing, and now I have a temp gradient that ranges from 73.4 to 78 up towards the top of the tankduring the day and 66-71 at night.

Blazer

Organism Green Leaf Aqua Underwater

Organism Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Soil Freshwater aquarium

Vegetation Nature Soil Botany Terrestrial plant

Vegetation Plant Organism Flower Petal

Leaf Terrestrial plant Soil Botany Flowering plant

Ive added alot more plants to the viv and im still waiting on several red varities of neo's. Ill post more pics when I have the frogs!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
great build. im curious if you feel that system is reliable for temp control? is it something that can go out while at work or at the lake for the long weekend? im not trying to rain on you awesome build just asking if there are back up plans? (if something can go wrong it will)

maybe raise the light a few inches and put a hood around the top? anyway it is a sweet looking viv and good luck with those imi's

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i was going away Id have someone watch the frogs. If it was just a long weekend Id prolly just set the lights to kick on for like 4 hours a day. under the litter the temp stays really cool. Theres a wide temp range within the enclosure and in five years here ive never lost power. lol worst case scenario (power outage during a heat wave) I have a battery powered fan that I would just blow over a bag of ice or something.

Anyway... the frogs came today! I heard some calling and saw a male try and mount a female so I feel im off to a good start. These pictures DO NOT capture the metallic sheen of these frogs... Theyre soooo much prettier than I could have imagined since unitl today ive only seen pictures.

Enjoy!

Organism Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium Pet supply

Blue Organism Amphibian Vertebrate Photograph

Organism Amphibian Photograph Vertebrate Adaptation

Organism Majorelle blue Aquarium decor Electric blue Aquatic plant

Vegetation Nature Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant

Organism Amphibian Vertebrate Adaptation Frog

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant believe how small these guys are... I knew they were thumbnails, but i was still pretty taken back. The other thing that blows me away is how they use every inch of the tank. The viv is 36 L x 18 W x 24 H and they are all over it. They seem to be really fond of chasing springs through the leaf litter, and in two to three hops they can cover the distance of the tank.

Theyre call is amazing too. like a cross between a bird and a cricket. Its audible but not overpowering or annoying.

Thanks for everything Jeremy, Ill def be getting frogs from you in the future!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its def time for an update... Just got my some more broms from bromeliadsn'such. Couldnt be happier, they took a while to ship but I got three more than I ordered which is classy as hell imo. Frogs are in the viv if i hadnt already mentioned that. dusted ff's, 4 types of pods and 3 types of springs are ensuring theyre all well fed. And heres the pics... enjoy!

Organism Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant

Vegetation Plant Flower Petal Terrestrial plant

Organism Purple Terrestrial plant Aquarium decor Botany

Organism Amphibian Photograph Vertebrate Adaptation

Blue Organism Amphibian Vertebrate Photograph

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peekskillfrogger

any specs on that fan? such as Decibals and CFM? loud/quiet?
Its loud, but the air pumps that push the tropic aires are way louder. lol I threw out the box so I dont have specs but its called a aquacool by zoomed should be easy enough to look up. IDK how people keep tanks cool under bright lights... this system is loud and way over the top for what it should be to keep the tank perfect. Some changes are going to have to be made because I feel that the noise and vibration is a little redic. Its not any louder than an average aquarium but thats still pretty loud imo.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
IDK how people keep tanks cool under bright lights... this system is loud and way over the top for what it should be to keep the tank perfect. Some changes are going to have to be made because I feel that the noise and vibration is a little redic.
sounds like you need some decent CPU fans.
oh and
not only will they clear the condensation, but they will drop the tank's overall temps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts