Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few too many vent tads right now from my pair, so I decided to leave their last clutch of eggs in their viv. I checked one of their film canisters today, and I found a tad with a bunch of infertile eggs in the water. I don't know if they are hiding other tads, but I'm so excited to see them egg feeding. I pulled so many tads over the past months, that I feared they would never figure out how to egg feed. The other cool thing is that they haven't laid in the last week. So, it seems like they are getting it right.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's awesome.My pair of imitators morphed out their first froglet about a week ago.There is one tad they are still feeding so hopefully they will start laying eggs for production soon instead of egg feeding.Mine haven't laid eggs for reproduction for over 3 months now so if I see tads in brom axils from now on I am taking them out.It is very cool watching the male call the female to the tads,beat the heck out of TV. :wink:
MarkW.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that both the male and female have a parental instinct, or does the male know not the fertilize and the famale simply lays in responce to the male's call?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't know for sure.The way I have watched it done is he will go and sit about an inch above the water line in the brom and call until she gets closer.Then he will back into the water with her as if he is going to fertilize them but not sure if he does or is faking it convincing her he is.The male does lots of calling and the volume gets less and less until they are very close together. Do pumilios do it basically the same or do the females feed the tads without the males calling them to the tads deposit site?
Any way you look at it it is very cool behavior to watch.Keep us posted on how your vents go about it.Are they in a group or 1.1? My imitators are1.1 so I would like to know how they go about this in groups.
Mark W.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is so cool! That seriously gets me more and more excited about getting my first frogs. I love hearing the cool little things they do. I hope all goes well for the both of you!

Chris Pyle

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,
There are alot of little things like that with about any species if you take the time to watch it.I have had CR auratus for 2 years and still enjoy watching them go about their business.I have watching fight, stroking egg laying and trasporting tads with them so don't think things like that so don't think you need thumbnails or egg feeders to watch cool behavior.
This morning I just watched my female imitator shedding it's skin and eating it.It is only the 2nd time I have watched this going on.Last weekend was the first watching an imitator froglet doing it.
If I can get away with it and noone is home I try and spend alot of time watching my frogs.That is why we keep them isn't it or am I missing something else?
Mark W.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe you are missing anything! That is exactly why I want to keep these beautiful frogs. They are just wonderful from all of the stories I have heard. I love to just sit and watch nature, and sitting and watching these little guys do their thing would be just awesome.

Chris Pyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts