Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always enjoyed south/central american artwork (mayan/aztec/incan) the small stone mushroom figures, mandalas, pyramids etc. I've always wanted to add something similiar to my vivarium but haven't ever had a chance to make it down there to pick up something "authentic" for a decent price. So I've always kept my eye open for any aquarium decorations with a similiar look/feel. Here's a couple pics of what I've used found (the mushrooms are real, and just showed up as an added bonus):

I don't expect many people to approve/like the "artificial" deco, I'm hoping the moss will grow in and obscure a lot of it.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever used anything unorthodox... things that might not be "quite natural" but still could realistically be found in there environment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
incan

I have a bunch of little incan figurine replicas that I bought in peru. They are small enough to fit in a tank, about an inch long. and in theory, this is how they were found, just lying around ruins and whatnot. i believe they were made to bring good luck in fertility.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I used those same things in my first tank. The frogs seemed to like them; and after everything grew in they looked really good in the tank. I have two larger tanks (20 long, and a thirty high) that I might try some thing like that in again.
Show pics of the tank when finished.
Good luck
ADAM

·
Registered
986 Posts
Tad,

I love the decor ideas. I personally wanted to make some Inca/Aztec/Maya artifact replicas to place in a terraria in a partially exposed state so that the terrarium looked like part of an old ruin. I plan on sculpting my own out of clay, then casting them out of some sort of safe material--maybe great stuff or a sealed plaster.

Anyway, thanks for the pics. I think it's a great idea and could have good results, depending upon the execution.

Jack,

Do you have pics of the replicas you picked up? I'd love to see them for some ideas.

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know thats kind of what I thought, but my friends who have been to cancun and the area down there brought back a lot of artwork, and several pieces I assumed were african but no they are south american. The stuff I got came from petwarehouse (or some place similiar) are made of plastic and were all tittled "mayan" something or other and had little stickers that said "made in china" ;)

*shrug*

I have one piece of artwork that is authentic, that my friends did bring back for me, and I don't think I'd feel right about putting it in a viv, being a gift and all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to...

make a big deal out of a piece of plastic from a pet store but, the head is actually a replica of an olmec head from Mexico. It has been used as an example by people whoe support trans-oceanic contact prior to "the discovery" of the new world. :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts