Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
:? What to you think about using an underwater heater with this device...

http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.asp? ... tegory=357

It is a thermostat and I would like to use it to control the temperature of the underwater heater in my Viv. It seems like I could just turn the heater up all the way and adjust the external thermostst.

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dont know why no one else has replied to this, so Ill go ahead and do it. Even though it's been 5 days and youve probably figured it out already.

Ive never seen an underwater heater that doesnt already have some kind of a thermostat on it. You may have a cheaper model that just has a high-low dial, but even those can be regulated with guess-and-check. Visi-therm makes a nice heater with a very acurite thermostat.

-David

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to be able to adjust the heater from outside of the viv since the heater will be under the false bottom. I think it will work just fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was going to try that to raise the temp in my tank, but then I moved a small 10 gallon turtle hatchling tank underneeth of my frog tank, the heat lamp was in close proximity to the false bottom of the auratus tank, and now it's a very nice mid 70s in there. :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You can also try the undertank heaters. I've heard they work exceptionally well. The heat causes a higher humidity because of the rising hot air and it is great for plants.

Luke

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also try the undertank heaters. I've heard they work exceptionally well. The heat causes a higher humidity because of the rising hot air and it is great for plants.
I have the biggest under-tank heater i can find locally and it doesnt seem to help much with the heat at all. It might be becasue I use gravel instead of a false-bottom, so the gravel absorbes the heat. However one would think that after a year of it being on, the gravel would all have obtained a radiant temperature but... I dk.

I'm going to try the submesible heater rout in my next tank and then i can trully compare the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts