Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my understory Varaderos today...when I opened the box ,along with the newspaper surrounding the frog cups were these ziploc bags with a clear"gel"!!!! What do we have here??? Is this a homemade phase 22!!!! They weren't cold or hot ...but just right...

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Does it turn completely solid if refrigerated? Phase 22 would.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the freezer now ,,just starting to become solid

·
Registered
701 Posts
That looks like stuff found in some aquarium plants, probably just water gel. It's called absorbing polymer gel. I think it's harmless
Uses:
Candles
Composites and laminates
Controlled release of insecticides and herbicides
Diapers and incontinence garments
Drown-free water source for feeder insects
Filtration applications
Fire-retardant gel
Fragrance carrier
Frog tape (high tech masking tape designed for use with latex paint).
Grow-in-water toys
Hot & cold therapy packs
Magical effects[5]
Medical waste solidification[6]
Jackie Wu SG's pads
Motionless water beds
Spill control
Surgical pads
Potting soil[7]
Waste stabilization and environmental remediation
Water retention for supplying water to plants
Wire and cable water blocking
Wound dressings[8]
Fuel monitor systems in aviation
Fuel monitor systems in vehicles
Artificial snow

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gel was the only type of temputure control in the insulated box...

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you open up the bottom of the box you notice that there is a recessed cavity that we build into all of the styros. This keeps cold from coming in from the bottom, and unless it is calling for extreme cold is the only place we adhere a heat pack. The gel works well to regulate temps, and will absorb too much heat or cold before it reaches the frogs, and also seems to help maintain a rather constant temp.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So that is water gel!!??
BTW...I did find the heat pack...great packing job!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
lol i asked them what it was when i got mine from the last shipment, and it is indeed just water gel crystals :D

jamie

·
Registered
151 Posts
All of the frogs I got from Patrick Nabors/Sarian.net have the Water crystals also, with the frogs on top of it. I assumed it was to cushion the frogs in shipping.

Steve
Just got a shipment from Patrick Nabors to. Had the same stuff in there with my frogs. The temps were perfect. I was so worried that the frogs were going to get cold.

·
Registered
57 Posts
These is all good info. but new to these.Just got some nice frogs from Keith at Frog Brothel. he had phase 22 panels in the box. the card broad was pretty cold but frogs and inside ,seemed about the same temp as my house. the panels where not cold ,not warm. How do they work? dealt allot with coral/fish shipping, they got the same goal in mined 85. but that was done with heat packs and water. oh' ya do I save the panels.thanks Jeremy

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
These is all good info. but new to these.Just got some nice frogs from Keith at Frog Brothel. he had phase 22 panels in the box. the card broad was pretty cold but frogs and inside ,seemed about the same temp as my house. the panels where not cold ,not warm. How do they work? dealt allot with coral/fish shipping, they got the same goal in mined 85. but that was done with heat packs and water. oh' ya do I save the panels.thanks Jeremy
Well, you can check cryopacks website for a detailed description, but long and short of it is that they are a product that changes state much like water, but it's freezing point is in the lower 70's. I takes energy to heat something, but it takes even more energy to make that something actually change state. The gel packs act as a heat sink, like any other cold pack, but one in which the phase change further retards the heating or cooling process of the surrounding area.

So, if the shipping temps are below the freezing point of phase 22, I heat the packs up to a liquid form before shipping. If the shipping temps are above the freezing point of phase 22, I lower the temps so that the packs are solid. That way, the ambient temps have to actually change the state of the packs before they can start increasing or decreasing in the box.

At least that's my understanding of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts