Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this video posted by Understory Enterprises on how they culture springtails. I had not seen this method before and wanted to share it here. It looks very efficient for transferring the springtails for feeding. I am going to set up some cultures with this method tomorrow!

Understory Enterprises Springtail method

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'm trying it as well.

I've had very good success with culturing mine in 2 quart containers on coco chips. But I was interested in giving Mark's simple method a try. I was surprised how little he feeds them. A pinch of active yeast every few weeks doesn't seem like much to me at all. But, if it works for Mark it's worth giving it a try.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I was able to watch without a Facebook account. But I don't get how sterilized potting soil stays in the cup when tapped. It looks like it's baked on (autoclaved on?). Did someone see, or understand something I missed?
This is very intriguing.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I was able to watch without a Facebook account. But I don't get how sterilized potting soil stays in the cup when tapped. It looks like it's baked on (autoclaved on?). Did someone see, or understand something I missed?
This is very intriguing.
It looked to me like the soil was just wet and somewhat pressed/stuck to the bottom of the cup. At least that's the way I did it when I set mine up. I'm using coco coir instead of soil.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I’m trying this as well.
Gary I used coco coir too, just because I had it laying around.
Wondering if a few pin holes to vent them if only opening every two weeks to feed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
After watching the video, when they posted it, I went over and made a tropical pink springtail culture. Hoping it goes well. I used fine peat moss.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a couple cultures going on fine coco coir that are doing well and I just started one on hygrolon. Should stay put better and less likely to crush bugs and make a mess if it comes loose.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Anybody having success with Mark's method?

I started a few cultures several weeks ago and I'm not seeing any kind of great production. The springs are doing OK but certainly haven't boomed.

On the other hand, my method of culturing the springs in 2 quart containers and feeding 3 times a week are producing great results.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I started four a couple of weeks ago after watching the vid. It was weird..most of the springtails died...one culture was completely wiped out. The other three have since recovered and are increasing in numbers...I wouldn't say 'booming', but it's kind of nice not having to deal with the charcoal and water.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I made about 12 of these cultures 5-6 weeks ago using wet peat packed tightly to the bottom and microwaved for 30 seconds. Let them cool and added springs. The tops were the solid plastic. I've fed them twice now, and my cultures look like they've been dusted now. I think they should be really booming (and able to be fed out) in about 2-3 more weeks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I made 10 cultures with coco coir, they are booming, however when I try to tilt
The culture to tap some springtails out the coco coir is falling out.
Think I will try with dirt.
I packed it well. Maybe mine were too wet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made a few dozen of these with baked topsoil and water after posting this thread. I used solid lids with no holes. I have fed with rice, rice flour, bakers yeast and fish flakes. They seemed to be growing well. I made more to double the number of cultures and seeded from the original cultures. I have now started to feed from the original cultures that I started. I can turn the cultures upside down with no soil falling out.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I made 10 cultures with coco coir, they are booming, however when I try to tilt
The culture to tap some springtails out the coco coir is falling out.
Think I will try with dirt.
I packed it well. Maybe mine were too wet?
I'm using coco coir as well but mine aren't doing much of anything. What, how often, and how much are you feeding?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Many, many scientific papers on springtails refer to using set plaster of paris as a calcium bearing substrate for them, if I was going to try this method I'd try it with a small amount of plaster poured into the bottom of the containers and then scored with a fork to rough up the surface. This should be cleaner and easier than trying to compress coco fibre or anything like that I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
“The medium is cheap potting soil. Its moistened n then baked in a large pan for 40 min at about 350. This should sterilize pretty well and keep it from moulding. When cooled mix in wather till you get a dpugh like consistency and press it down in the cup about 1/2 deep. Sprinkle in springtails and a tiny pinch of yeast. Wait about two months and it should be white with springtails. Open only to feed as needed.”

This additional info was provided in the comments of their original post. I believe it should read “1/2 inch deep”, looking at the video.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts