Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used an undergravel filter in there tanks. I was thinking about using it for a ten gallon, instead of having to use a drain,waterfeature,etc. They suppose to be able to provide bio filterationby moving water through gravel.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have seen a tank like this work using a small power head but it was for newts and not dart frogs. I think the water level required would be too high for dart frogs. If you use alot of gravel and create a small pond area for the power head it may work.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Undergravel filters are primarily used for aquariums. Given that dart frogs don't need a water feature, and even if you have one it should not be large, i doubt it will work. Undergravel filters are pretty bad IMO even in aquariums. It will most likely just get clogged with the substrate. You could try it and see, but i don't think you should bother.

Luke

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of just putting it under a simple ten gallon tank. At the bottom of the ten gallon it will have a deep layer of gravel. I really didn't want to add any drains so I was thinking because undergravel filters just move water through the gravel it should work good. Problem would have been the still water at the bottom but by having the filter it should elimanite the problem. I just can't get the filter that use carbon. I'll do some more research to see how much water do an undergravel filter need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts