Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use under your cocohuts for the frogs to lay the eggs on? When i was into it before i used Petri dishes but i cant find who i ordered them from. If anyone has a good site for ordering Petri dishes please let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Deli cup lids.

Luke

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would try to possibly order some of the leaf litter that Amanda and Greg from AZDR.com sell. They are typically quite sizable (approx. 6-8inches in length), in addition to the fact of additional utility. In having to keep some of my frogs in the plastic shoeboxes during construction phases for tanks, I kept my azureus and vents in different shoeboxes that also had the same leaves for them to use for cover/hiding places. Can't really do that with petri dishes. Also on a side note, as long as you aren't feeding your frogs crickets constantly, the leaves last for a pretty lengthy time, I want to say approximately eight months or so before they even show any signs of decomposing. After the frogs lay their eggs on the leaves, you can simply pull the leaf out and replace it with a new one. Then move the eggs, wash the leaves, and their ready for reuse. In any event, best of luck finding what works.

- Jeff

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I use sour cream lids, harvested tons of eggs on them. However, clear petri lids would look better than my white lids. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
if you go on ebay they sell a ton of petri dishes in all kind of sizes

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pringles lids work really well to! They are easy to clean, and don't break. And you get to eat a can of Pringles!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Why in the heck would anyone need 500 petri lids??? They are reusable you know.

You might ask if there is anyone in your area that would also like some. You could split an order several ways to make it really cheap and still have way more perti dishes than the avarage hobbiest could use.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I also use plastic petri dishes. My mom works in a lab, so she brought home some that they weren't going to use. I just wash and reuse them. I have learned however, only put the bottoms in. The top is bigger than the bottom, and if you put the tops in there's a chance that the frogs will lay their eggs along the side, meaning that you can't put the lid on the petri dish without squashing them.

G

·
I cut a piece of plastic that is flat, that way when i remove it from the coco hut, i can place it in a contairner and just add water. i can also remove it from the container if the container has to be clean.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Ooops, I am editing the original post, but here is what it was...

That would be a great deal wouldn't it!

Melis

melissa68 said:
We use plastic petri dishes. We also offer them for sale.

How many people would be interested in purchasing them at IAD? We are thinking about bringing them and would sell them for $6 for a sleeve of $20.

Melis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts