Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I followed that older thread about making a fogger from a Kaz humidifier and it works perfectly. The problem is that I am currently using a pipe with a two inch diameter and it doesn't really fit with my current setup.

Question:

1. How thin of a tube can be used for the fogger and still have fog come out and not all condense during its 4 foot travel.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good to hear. Now I just need to find the right pvc fittings to go from 2 inches down to .5 inch.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I will be heading to home depot after work to get some tubes and what not. Hopefully the humidifier will help keep the mosses moist enough until I get a mistking.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies I went and bought a 1/2" tube and some pvc connectors to downsize the humidifier outlet and plumbed it all in and it is working great! Now I just need to figure out how long and how often to run it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
which model did you use? How many vivs can be connected to it and how did you "hook it up" to the viv/vivs? I love the look and think I'd rather have that than the mister...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
which model did you use? How many vivs can be connected to it and how did you "hook it up" to the viv/vivs? I love the look and think I'd rather have that than the mister...
I am using an older model of the one in the link below, I think the one from the link would probably work fine though:

Humidifier Amazon

Not sure how many vivs it could be hooked up to, I am only using it for one at the moment but it would probably work fine with two. I will get some photos tonight of the setup so you can see how it works!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I use one for mine and learned one mistake to be aware of. I plumbed 1" PVC down the corner and across the back. It comes out in the lower center, under a rock ledge, and blankets the open area.
The problem is, when I plumbed it across it must come up at a slight angle after the 90. So, after a period of time, the water condenses enough to puddle in the bend of the pipe to block the fog. It can be easily prevented to make sure your plumbing is set to drain back in all directions and has no low spots to puddle. Since mine is hidden in the GS background, then I'll leave mine as is. I simply unhook it at the humidifier and give it a gentle blow of air to push the water out.

-Chris

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
that is definitely a worthwhile hint...so when you plumb it into the tank...do you do it from the top...the side...the back??? Is the "hole" totally dedicated to just that fog setup? Or is it usually a "vent" hole complete with screen??

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is definitely a worthwhile hint...so when you plumb it into the tank...do you do it from the top...the side...the back??? Is the "hole" totally dedicated to just that fog setup? Or is it usually a "vent" hole complete with screen??
I have a dedicated hole on top the tube then runs to the back of the tank and down to the fogger.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I just plumbed mine with pvc pipe and the fittings. It's not under pressure so there is no need to glue it. My 150 isn't drilled, so I went from the humidifier in the stand, up the back, over the top, hidden in the background, then I simply zip-tied a piece of screen over the opening so no frogs could get too adventurous.
Also, you can use flexible tubing instead of PVC where convenient. Just don't leave in areas where the water could puddle in the hose/pipe.

You can see the opening in this pick under the rock ledge...

-Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run mine for 3 min 6 times a day on a 38 bow front. I use a timer from 8 AM to 9 PM.

Thanks for the replies I went and bought a 1/2" tube and some pvc connectors to downsize the humidifier outlet and plumbed it all in and it is working great! Now I just need to figure out how long and how often to run it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I forgot to ask "where did you find the KAZ humidifier"?

I have one that came with the viv I bought complete with frogs. Mine says Vicks on the side of the tank, but the tag on the bottom is a KAZ 30LB5100UA7. It works great. I'm also using a PVC reducer to 1 1/2 clear poly hose.

This picture is the same one I have but with a different part # B0063L1CDY.

-Art

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the humidifier on ebay, but the vicks ones work great they bought kaz a while back so they are essentially the same thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I made a fogger from an ultrasonic humidifier and I ended up using old cpap tubing as the piping for this thing. I set mine on a timer to go off about 3 times a day and it seems to do very well. The cpap tubing is pretty cheap if you have to buy more. I put a link below so that you can see what this tubing looks like.

Hybrid CPAP Tubing

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I made a fogger from an ultrasonic humidifier and I ended up using old cpap tubing as the piping for this thing. I set mine on a timer to go off about 3 times a day and it seems to do very well. The cpap tubing is pretty cheap if you have to buy more. I put a link below so that you can see what this tubing looks like.

Hybrid CPAP Tubing
Thanks for the suggestion, I went with the vinyl tubing from home depot because I wanted a small tube to be able to fit in the holes I had drilled. It was 7 dollars for 20 ft so now I have way to much! Guess I will just have to make some more tanks :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts