Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
Clay isn't just for pumilio.. If done properly it can have benefits for all of the frogs.. Just recently people haven't been working the clay for structure..

Ed

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
How has it been holding up for you? I have heard that coco-fiber doesn't last as long (but I've never tried it myself). I got one of the big 2 cubic feet packs of peat from Lowes and that last's forever!
Another benefit to clay is that if done properly it will last for as long as you leave up the enclosure.

Clay grows moss just fine see the attached picture and in addition to the microfauna and calcium, it acts more like the substrate to which terrestrial species are adapted.

I'm not making fun of you Mitch, but a lot of the clay works that people are trying/using are made from kitty litters and are not even worked to incorporate the structure as indicated in the ultimate clay thread. Many of these are being used as a simple background method and as these are functionally/structurally different issues should be expected.

I keep an airgap in most of the tanks between the surface of the water in the false bottom and the bottom of the false bottom so my clay substrates drain well... which is another difference from most people's set ups and as a result I am able to grow epiphytes in the substrate without any rotting.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.