Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found mites in a recently purchased culture of FF. I'm guessing I should toss it and not risk using those flies to start new cultures?

I'm guessing by now all the other cultures nearby are contaminated. Sighhhh.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
All cultures have mites.. All of the methods on the board are simply ways in which we try to manage them. If you dust the flies before starting a new culture with an ultrafine supplement then most of the mites will settle to the bottom of the cup. You can use the flies to start new cultures as long as you don't get down to the dusting layer. Once you do this, place the new cultures far away from the older culture or at least on fresh mite paper.

Ed

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So dump a bunch in a cup, dust them with some repashi(thats what I have atm), let them sit for? 10 min? then used the flies off the top to start new cultures?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
No after you dust them, you can use them in the new cultures right away.

Just make sure to not use the bottom layer. Make sure to use something to keep the mites from the old cultures from getting in the newer cultures.

Ed

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm confused by not using the "bottom layer". I'm sure its really simple and I'm just being completely dense, but after a couple mojitos on my back porch I'm just not getting it.

Don't use the bottom layer of what?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Home made mite paper? I have some permethrin spray i just sprayed onto card stock paper. Going to try that and see how i do with mites. Ideas? Comments?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so apparently I jumped the gun. Talked with the vendor and what I have are the white mites that eat the media and not the rust/brown mites that attack the FF pupae.

@paintballislife - I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to use any permethrins

Are you a paintballer? I'm assuming so. /hijack my own thread. Did you watch the Chicago open? I played competetively for several years in Houston. The paintball community in El Paso is dead so I'm on hiatus.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used to, played competitively in the jersey area for a bit but didn't have a lot of money to get too involved. Paintball is tapering off more and more here. I switched to airsoft in 2005 and haven't looked back. Any culture with mites in IME has never worked out.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I guess I'm confused by not using the "bottom layer". I'm sure its really simple and I'm just being completely dense, but after a couple mojitos on my back porch I'm just not getting it.

Don't use the bottom layer of what?
The bottom layer of flies and mites and dust in the bottom of the cup.

The white flies can eventually reduce production as they compete with the flies but as noted there are mites in all of the hobby fruit fly cultures.

Ed

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
anyone ever seen grey / dark greenish colored mites? i seen a bunh of them in my viv's, thanks.
detrivore mites are common in many terrariums.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts