Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
So as some of you may know by the few posts I have had on here already, I am constructing a palludarium. Now I have lots of time to figure this out as I don't even have a tank yet, but can anyone help me think of a frog that meets the following criteria....
1) Colorful, vibrant, exotic looking (like many darts or even red eyed tree frog)
2) Good swimmer and wont drown in deep water
3) Primarily terrestrial (I want to see it on land most of the time)
4) Does well with fish (Wont harm them, wont be stressed by fish)

I know darts are out of the question if I want enough water for fish (unless i come up with some way to keep them from getting in deep water. And I don't like firebelly toads. I was thinking red eye tree frog but read they cannot swim very well either. Any help is greatly appreciated. Its hard to find frogs that fit all these criteria.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are pretty cool. However, if possible I would like something more vibrant. The reason being that I want something that stands out compared to the plants. The mossy tree frog is the exact opposite! lol. I will keep it in mind though as it does look really cool. I also do like nice patterns rather than solid color frogs which this has, but it does also seem a little large. Would I be able to keep 2 or 3 in a 65 gal. pallu? They seem somewhat new to the pet trade as well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting...

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
What about Geosearma crabs? Vampires, mandarins, red devils. They look awesome and would fit your bill quite well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
do they have to be vibrant? many oddball frogs are very interesting and charismatic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being vibrant is not top on my list. If they have good personalities, and are active that is a big plus. I just want something that if my friends or family come to see my tank I can look and be like oh there it is hoping around. "Oh my god!" and "Whoaaa!" and "Beautiful" comments (about the frogs) are just added pleasure. But I am more concerned with them being active, terrestrial, able to swim well, and do well with fishes.
I havent really considered crabs just because I am not too interested in them. They would be nice if they could be in some sort of mixed species tank, but I would rather have a reptile or amphibian than a crustacean.

·
Registered
599 Posts
tree frogs might not be your best bet...they're nocturnal so you wouldn't see them too often during the day. many tree frogs are very active at night though so it's a compromise, gliding tree frogs are very cool, but i'm not sure on their care. for diurnal frogs... darts and mantellas. not many diurnal frogs, maybe some of the larger tree frogs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both darts and mantellas cannot swim well though, correct? I originally though of possibly having glass with tiny holes drilled in it preventing the frogs from entering the water, but then I realized this would cause a lot of problems with feeding fish and maintenance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What size is your palludarium? Have you looked in to a water dragon or something similar?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It will be 65 gallons. At least the rock I am making is meant to fit in a 65 gallon. Are I haven't considered water dragons. Ill have to do some research on them. Are they as smart as bearded dragons??? Im guessing the plants I chose would have to be a little more rugged than with most frogs?

Edit: Actually after just reading for a few minutes I think I would rather not go with water dragons. Sounds like they will most likely eat or at least injure any fish I have, are a little bigger than i want (also limiting plants I can use), and need a basking spot which just complicates things a bit. It sounds like an awesome pet! But i think I want to stick with smaller animals.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you know the size of an adulte Physignatus coccincinus ?
What do you mean by intelligent ?
Dendrobates swim fine. Poeple think that they can't swim because they find some dead In water but usually, and In most cases, the dominant frog obliguated the other frog TO stay onder water and finaly drounds.
But do you Must put fishes In the tank ?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Both darts and mantellas cannot swim well though, correct? I originally though of possibly having glass with tiny holes drilled in it preventing the frogs from entering the water, but then I realized this would cause a lot of problems with feeding fish and maintenance.
this would actually be best done with something like screen or plastic needlepoint canvas material and grow moss on top of it.
I think if done right you can do it. I gave you a pretty good explanation on how it can be done.
If you want to use glass make sure you sand the corners and the holes so the frogs don't get cut and drilling that many holes the glass is likely to give I would assume

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I did like that idea too. I was thinking glass might be more invisible. But probably since it would be my first one your idea would be better :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts