Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)
Hi Froggers!

So I am desperately obsessing and slightly neurotic and I am about to hyperventillate just typing all this! I am in love with PDF and have a 55 gallon aquarium with a stand.

That's it. Before I buy the frogs, what all do I need? I have read a lot on here, including the pinned stuff but I can't seem to find the stuff to use as background etc. Do I need a misting unit? What is the best book I can get?

Yikes. I need to go get a paper bag.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Hehe :D

You don't need a misting system. Lots of folks (including me) just hand mist with a hand held spray bottle.

Are you looking to do a Great Stuff background? It's in the red and yellow spray can at Lowe's. Interested in clay? Look for some 100% clay kitty litter, or, a pottery supply store. Lots of threads on clay and different mixtures.

Read more! :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Good things to search: false bottom, culturing fruit flies, substrate mixtures,... I'm sure others can add to the list.
Good luck and happy searching,
Field

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know in past viv's that I've built, for the back ground, I've just used rolls of coocfiber cut to the size i needed. I just siliconed it to the back of the aquarium, works great as a simple background.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Others feel free to add to this. I know there is much more.

Heres a checklist:

Learn how to culture flies

Research supplements

Learn how to hold a frog properly (only when necessary)

Research substrates

Learn the importance of leaf litter

Learn about temperature (ac/heat a must)

Buy a one or two gallon Garden pump sprayer for misting

Learn how to disinfect plants properly

Learn about the frog you are purchasing (aggression, group compatibility, boldness, ease of care, how they breed, etc.)

Build your tank based on your species info

Leave no holes in the tank even if you think frog cannot fit through it (a two inch frog can fit through a hole the size of pencil)

Remember frogs can be harmed by lighting candles in the same room, spraying perfume, air deodorizers, etc.

Once you purchase your frogs and they are in the tank, make sure to leave them alone. Digging around in the tank looking for them is harmful.

It is a bit to learn, but everything I listed helps to ensure your frogs stay alive and healthy. Once you learn everything and the tank is set up the care is quite simple.

It is a commitment, some can live to 20 years.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Start culturing fruitflies as soon as possible. I know of some folks who just can't get the hang of it and have to buy their flies - ugh.

When you mist, or if you're using a water feature, make sure that the water is de-chlorinated. There are some drops available at the pet store that will do the trick.

This is an extremely addictive hobby, so be prepared to have lots of tanks and few loose fruitflies hanging around. Once your tanks and fruitfly cultures are established, it's smooth sailing from there.

Good luck, and welcome to the board!

kristi

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
You probably also want to read about fruit fly proofing the tanks.

Ed

·
Registered
161 Posts

Ed
Lots of good advice but Ed nailed it unless you like pepper that moves:eek:
Doug

·
Registered
508 Posts

Ed
Fly proofing is always a good idea. It's the time between retrieving from the culture to the dusting container to the tank when my flies tend to stray, especially if I'm not paying close attention to what I'm doing. Of course, that's why we set up fruitfly traps, right?

So much to learn, and most of us are STILL learning new and fun stuff about our frogs. Thank goodness for Dendroboard !

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Backgrounds aren't a necessity in a frog viv. If you are planning on acquiring species that are mostly terrestrial, I find they just take sapce away from the available room in the viv. If you are looking to get thumbnails or egg-feeders, a background that can be planted makes more sense. It's really mostly personal taste.

Good luck! Richard.

·
Registered
638 Posts
welcome to dendroboard yah Id do what they said and research research research It took 2 years before I thought I was ready to get my first frogs of course though you dont need to wait that long and for a background for that size tank id probably do a great stuff background and cover it with some clay but yah read through threads and you'll most likly find the answers you need

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Fly proofing is always a good idea. It's the time between retrieving from the culture to the dusting container to the tank when my flies tend to stray, especially if I'm not paying close attention to what I'm doing. Of course, that's why we set up fruitfly traps, right?

So much to learn, and most of us are STILL learning new and fun stuff about our frogs. Thank goodness for Dendroboard !
If you do this in the sink any escapees can be taken care of with some hot water out of the faucet...

Ed

·
Registered
776 Posts
I find most escapees tend to dry up under the lights. They don't seem to have a long shelf life once they are out of the cultures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts